Shock, Bleach or Liquid Chlorine?

I have been keeping my shock level according to pool math. My CYA has been up and down but right now shock is 14. I haven't been able to shock since last night, but I have been pretty diligent about it. The first few days I was testing every half hour because I had the time. When I don't have time I have been doing it twice a day at least. I got it to shock level last night and couldn't do it again this morning. I will shock it again now. My gauge is broken and I have been waiting on a new one but have been backwashing every 2-3 days. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been using the 10ml line to test FC/CC btw. Take the drop count and divide it by 2 right??

You got it.

Filter pressure is key at getting all the crud out of the water. Sand filters filter better when a little dirty (by better I mean to a smaller micron). which gets more of the water fog out. YOu're on the right track by ordering a new gauge. Get that sucker installed and you'll have some better luck on that front. Are you filtering 24/7?

If you're using the 10ml sample, how did you come up with .75 as your CC?

on the time thing. I know it's a PITA for most of us to check and dose frequently, but sadly, that's part of the SLAM...maintaining the shock level is absolutely key. a little high is better than a little low. Once you get past the SLAM things will calm down a lot. but for now you just have to keep after it, and maintain that high FC level.

I came up with .75 by dividing 3 drops in half (simple math made hard). 1.5 is my CC, sorry. I am filter 24/7. We have had a lot of rain lately. I have gone through 18 gallons of 10% chlorine, I figured I would be a lot further along by now..like clear pool further along...

Also, I am 4-5 drops away from being out of R-0871, so I got that going for me. Just ordered some more today from TFTestkits. Should have gone with the k-100 to begin with

OK, sounds like you have been doing a pretty good job with the SLAM process ... thanks for filling us in, some members claim to SLAM for weeks with nothing to show for it, but we have no idea what they are actually doing.

You should have ordered one of the nice gauges from tftestkits with your refill ;)

Once you get the gauge that may help figure some of this out. Have you tried an OCLT? Might just be that your filter is struggling and a little DE could help.

Thanks for all the help. I have not done an OLCT. I will do so when I get my refill. BTW, just added one of the nice gauges from tftestkits to my order ;). How can I find out what a good starting, or clean psi is for my sand filter. I had the sand changed to zeobest about 4 years ago. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cleaning up my swamp is slow going as well, OP, but stick with it and take the advice of the folks here and you'll definitely get there. FWIW I deep cleaned my sand filter a few days ago and it's made a huge difference in terms of how often I have to backwash, and I even lost 1psi on my clean pressure. If you've never cleaned it, it might be worth doing, or at least popping open the top and feeling around to see if there's any major gunk on top of the sand. Good luck and have a can of POP! :)

Thanks Mprysak82, I just replaced the filter and used the old sand (zeobest) from the old filter before I started this process. It didn't look dirty. I had to go on vacation for a week last week. I had my neighbor put a half a gallon of liquid in my pool daily while i was gone. The pool looks a little better, I am back on the SLAM starting today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.