Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock, Bleach or Liquid Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock, Bleach or Liquid Chlorine?

My pool is a swamp and I am following the "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis" sticky to clear it up. In that thread JasonLion recommends bleach to kill the algae. My question is was that purely from an economical standpoint? The reason i ask is I am getting Poolife turbo shock for about $4 a pound at 78% cal-hypo. I can get liquid chlorine for about $6 a gallon at 13%. Bleach is about $5 a gallon at 8.25%. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock, Bleach or Liquid Chlorine?

Welcome to TFP!

Usually liquid is actually cheaper when you look at the cost per ppm of FC. But also, it does not have the side effects of the solid chlorine. That cal hypo adds calcium and if that gets too high you can have problems and it also may cause cloudy water.

What is your CH now? What are all your test results?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick response! I only have a basic taylor Kit, I have a k-2006 test kit on the way tomorrow. My Ph is 7.2 and my Cl looks like 0. Those are the only readings I have at the moment. I did put cya in a sock and and took about a week to dissolve. Last time I checked my cya was 15. I am going to the pool store and will have better test results for you then. So go with the $5.99 13% liquid chlorine?

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like there are some Ollie's Bargain Outlets around you. Check them out, they carry liquid shock here by the gallon which is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite for $2.99.
    Otherwise Walmart etc for regular bleach. Those prices seem high to me.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

5. Back To Top    #5

Of those options, that is the best deal. I get 2 gallons of 10% from Lowe's or home depot for under $7 ... check the date code.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

5.99 for a gallon seems like a lot. You should go through this thread backwards and see if you have any of the stores mentioned. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...es-2014/page14

Using this link, you can calculate the cost of various strength and size bottles against each other. http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/chlorine/

5.99 , 13%, 128oz = 0.36 cents per oz
    6.47(2pk) , 10% , 128 oz = -.253 per oz (walmart)
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome advice guys. I had no idea that store Ollie's even existed, 12.5% Liquid is the way to go it seems.
    24k gallon IG Vinyl Liner Pool, Hayward s210T Sand Filter, Advantage Manufacturing 3/4 HP Pump, Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

When you can find a deal on liquid chlorine, snag it up. I need to stop into Ollies myself and get some more.

If I were you, I'd stock up on the liquid. IF, you keep it in a cool dark place like a cellar, it will keep. BUT, if you keep it in a hot garage or shed, it will deteriorate.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the advice. Here are the test results from the pool store. I have heard mixed reviews on pool store tests but this is what they gave me. The test they use is "Clear Care Expert"

FC = .23
    Total Chlorine = 1.09
    Combined Chlorine = .86
    PH = 7.2
    TA = 87
    CH = 112
    CYA = 4
    Saturation Index -0.5

I went and got 12 gallons of the 10% Liquid Chlorine from Ollie's @ $2.99 (Thanks Rick!) I will have my k-2006 kit tomorrow.
    24k gallon IG Vinyl Liner Pool, Hayward s210T Sand Filter, Advantage Manufacturing 3/4 HP Pump, Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jlazy View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Here are the test results from the pool store. I have heard mixed reviews on pool store tests but this is what they gave me. The test they use is "Clear Care Expert"

FC = .23
    Total Chlorine = 1.09
    Combined Chlorine = .86
    PH = 7.2
    TA = 87
    CH = 112
    CYA = 4
    Saturation Index -0.5

I went and got 12 gallons of the 10% Liquid Chlorine from Ollie's @ $2.99 (Thanks Rick!) I will have my k-2006 kit tomorrow.
    If the chlorine you got is Austin's brand of liquid shock it's 12.5%. The MSDS I've seen shows between 12.5% and 15%. Mine has always been pretty strong. Check the date, it's on the side of the carton. Newer is better, it degrades over time and loses strength. If you can store in a cool dry space, it can help it last longer.

I don't trust pool store test results, so I have no idea on your CYA. The FC is and pH look like they are probably right. Do you have any idea if you have added any stabilizer to your pool in the past? Any "bags" of shock or Tricholor tabs?
    At this point without a CYA reading, I'd wait til you get your kit before adding anything.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the advice. My test kit got delayed and won't here here until tomorrow. I will post results then.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi all, I tested my CYA level and it's below 30. I put about 5 pounds of CYA in 2 socks in my skimmer. My question is, should I wait until my CYA is at least above 30? Should I go ahead and continue shocking my pool?

13. Back To Top    #13

Continue the SLAM process, once dissolved, assume the CYA is at your target to determine your shock FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi All, I have been doing the SLAM process for a little over week now and my pool is still cloudy. Any help is appreciated!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Pics, and more importantly a full set of current test results? (using the K2006)
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

16. Back To Top    #16

Here are my current test results:

FC = 7.5
    CC = .75
    PH = 7.4
    TA = 80
    CH = 100

2014-07-22 16.17.17.jpg

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

CYA? If the reading you're getting is lower than it should be per Pool math based on the amount of CYA you have added to this point then run your FC @ the higher CYA/FC number based on the FC/CYA chart.

FC/CYA chart
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Looks like you're still a bit away from done. In any case. I'd bet you a kitkat 7.5FC is too low for SLAM. If you have the time to do so, testing and adding every cpl of hours until it stops dropping every cpl of hours will shorten the overall duration of the SLAM. once you get through a 4 hr window then check every 4, then gradually work your way to longer durations. This is very similar to giving certain antibiotics. you look at the peaks and troughs of the bloodwork, and dose to keep the peaks in range (you aren't worried about peaks in reality...your pool's liver/kidney can't die) and the troughs in range (this is the important one for you.)
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

18. Back To Top    #18

Where are those test results from? You should have had your K-2006 on the 9th, but those FC and CC numbers seem "off". And we need the CYA.

How often have you been testing and dosing? What is your FC target?
    What has been going on with your filter? Clean pressure? How fast is it climbing? When are you backwashing?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I posted those results right after I tested. What seems off about them? CYA = 35

20. Back To Top    #20

With a CYA of 35 ... your FC level is WAY below shock level. So does not really seem like you are SLAMing.

Answer all my other questions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast