Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First quote for composite deck for AGP..is this high?

1. Back To Top    #1

First quote for composite deck for AGP..is this high?

Looking to get a 24' round Sharkline pool and have a deck built around 1/4 of it as shown in the pic. Got our first quote for Timber Tech Evolutions Terrain decking with their Radaince Railings plus stairs and safety gate (we don't have an additional fence). Should be around 250 sq ft. First quote= $14,800. Footings will be dug in ground not on piers/blocks as we live in northeast.
    I know lots of people here have built their own, but I don't think we're capable of it. We've done some home projects but this seems a little too much to handle with all the safety/rules we'd have to figure out, never mind keeping it level?
    I was hoping for a little less, but I don't really know the going rate for deck labor right now.
    Deck plan pic.jpg
    24'x 54" Round Sharkline Oceanic installed summer 2014,Hayward EC45 bump style 1.5hp DE filter (using cellulose),TF-100 test kit. First time Pool owner- thinking about SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First quote for composite deck for AGP..is this high?

Seems high to me. I bet you can get it for about half that cost to maybe $10,000 tops. Get more quotes.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

I am no means a deck expert, but there's not a snowball's chance in **** I'd pay almost $60/sqft for a deck. I'd get another quote for comparison.
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

4. Back To Top    #4

We just had a deck put on the house ( went with Mahogany ) ours is 200 sq ft and we got quotes for the composite of over $14,000 so although it seems stupid high it must be the going rate.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

5. Back To Top    #5
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

I just had a 10 x 13 deck built. I haven't gotten the bill, but was told it will be $3500. The builder also told me that for them to build with composite costs 3 times as much as the cedar I had my deck built out of.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

6. Back To Top    #6

Composite is MUCH higher than almost any type of wood
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

In process of getting 2nd quote...we'll see if it's close to this price. I'm also thinking of getting a quote just for framing and installing the boards/railing ourselves if it's cheaper.
    24'x 54" Round Sharkline Oceanic installed summer 2014,Hayward EC45 bump style 1.5hp DE filter (using cellulose),TF-100 test kit. First time Pool owner- thinking about SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Composite = $$$

They're really, really proud of that stuff. I don't blame them-- it's good stuff. It'll last at least as long as the framing with very, very low maintenance.

That said, $14,500 seems high.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

would that put you over of what the pool is worth? if that's case, then I'm with above poster, not a snowball's chance
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

10. Back To Top    #10

You do know that the composite is hotter than you know what as it bakes in the sun?! It is not worth it to me to use composite decking and the price... I can think of other things to drop almost 15k on than paying those cost for a small deck.

This deck here cost hubby and I about $2,600 give or take and we are doing it ourselves.

This is his first and I've helped my dad and brothers work on theirs... it's not perfect but it is for us. Watch some Youtube vids... It's not as hard as it seems and once you get going, it all falls into place.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter