Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Im just learning the forum but need a little advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Im just learning the forum but need a little advice

I have a 20X40 32000 gallon gunite pool, live in Albuquerque New Mexico. Sand filled pump....new to this pool stuff.
    Drained pool to about 4 feet deep in the 8 foot deep end. Filled back up to start the TFP way. Levels are at: FAC 1.24
    PH 7.7
    TA 69
    CH 400
    CYA 109
    PHOSPHATES 1000

So I really do not want to empty the pool again as this is wasteful and costly.

Any Ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Im just learning the forum but need a little advice

Are those your test results, or a pool store's?

The CYA test is the hardest test, and the one the pool stores get wrong the most. Your CYA could be 40 or it could be 200, or it could be in the 100 range after all.

How does the water look? If it's clear, and no algae patches, you could try maintaining it with high CYA and lower it slowly by replacing a few inches a week to water the lawns or whatever. I've done both so I know it can be done, but it wasn't easy and I don't recommend it. And I know it's impossible without a FAS-DPD chlorine test to measure the high FC levels you need to maintain for the CYA level.

Best suggestion I can make is to get a proper test kit and make decisions based on accurate test results.

Phosphates are immaterial in a balanced pool. Don't let the pool store sell you phos-free. The stuff must be made out of liquid gold, and it frequently causes problems and makes the pool turn milky.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The water is crystal clear....no algae...Is there a test kit that is recommended? I got a $30.00 one that seems pretty good, however I would really like one that gives me the numbers in the form that the pool store does.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by CKWatson View Post
    The water is crystal clear....no algae...Is there a test kit that is recommended? I got a $30.00 one that seems pretty good, however I would really like one that gives me the numbers in the form that the pool store does.
    Ypu should pick one of the recommended test kits. The $30 pool store kits won't cut it for your desired results.

Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no reason for multiple decimal points that fool you into thinking the test its more accurate than it is.

The TF-100 is the test kit that is the best deal based on the amount of reagents you get and the warranty. See tftestkits.net or poolsupplyworld.com that ships from California.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just ordered the TF-100 test kit. Really excited to get it and see where the pool store tests are going wrong, or at least pointing me in the wrong direction with draining the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

I can give my real world experience with pool store testing. It was mandatory for me to take a water sample back once they installed my pool. I got $100 credit for letting them test it and tell me what i needed to do.

I ran the tests with my TF100 first to see how close they were. They told me I had a CYA level of 30. I had just filled with city water. I know I had a CYA of 0. I verified "0" this later on that evening just to practice the CYA test at home. They told me my FC was 5 and i had just tested it at 3. TA, PH, and CH were fairly close to my test results.

I was told to add 2 pucks a week, a bag of shock every 2 weeks, and half a bottle of algecide once a week. And to come back if the water got cloudy or green. I said..."you mean "WHEN" it gets cloudy "AND" green".
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

8. Back To Top    #8

Dilute your pool water 50/50 with tap water and run the CYA test again. Then double the result. Anything at or over 100, you may be way over 100. There is no way to remedy this other than partial drain of the pool. If you are using granular or tablet products (dry chlorine of any kind) this is what is most likely what is causing your problem.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Dilute your pool water 50/50 with tap water and run the CYA test again. Then double the result. Anything at or over 100, you may be way over 100. There is no way to remedy this other than partial drain of the pool. If you are using granular or tablet products (dry chlorine of any kind) this is what is most likely what is causing your problem.
    I think RobbieH is saying to do this when you get your new kit. It's pointless to double or otherwisr "trick" a test that is very likely bogus in the first place.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, thank you for the clarification.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Problem here is that I just drained almost 70% of the pool last week. I do not believe the pool stores test results. This is why I am excited to get my new test kit so I can be sure.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just had water tested...original levels:
    PH 7.7
    TA 69
    CH 400
    CYA 109
    PHOSPHATES 1000

LOLOLOL....New levels..
    PH 7.5
    TA 82
    CYA 65

Whats even better is that I have done nothing but maintained with chlorine bleach and baking soda. I cant wait for my TF-100 test kit to come.
    20 X 40.....32000 Gallons.....Gunite.....Live in Albuquerque New Mexico...............Sand Star Pump...Heater but only use when we first start up in April/May...

13. Back To Top    #13

You can stop with the baking soda until you get the test kit. Your TA and PH seem to be in the ballpark.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by CKWatson View Post
    Just had water tested...original levels:
    PH 7.7
    TA 69
    CH 400
    CYA 109
    PHOSPHATES 1000

LOLOLOL....New levels..
    PH 7.5
    TA 82
    CYA 65

Whats even better is that I have done nothing but maintained with chlorine bleach and baking soda. I cant wait for my TF-100 test kit to come.
    Oh, pool store testing again Hurry up, TF100! This pool and its owner need you!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Got my TD-100 test kit....my levels are on point 100%......I am living proof for the TFP method and forum....thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Tf-100
    20 X 40.....32000 Gallons.....Gunite.....Live in Albuquerque New Mexico...............Sand Star Pump...Heater but only use when we first start up in April/May...