My pool is a bleach pig! Help!

Jul 8, 2014
Victorville, CA
I have just converted my pool from Bacquacil to Chlorine and am having trouble with getting my FC to 15. I have not added CYA yet. I test at night and early in the morning. It is hot here, 100 degress every day. Pool is in full sun all day. My pool went from cloudy to crystal clear. CC level is 1.0. PH is 7.4. FC at night is ranging between 7 and 9 and in the morning it is between 4 and 6 ppm. I follow pool math on adding more chlorine, but my pool eats it up every night. Am I doing something wrong? It's so hot, I want to swim before summer is over. I started conversion 1.5 weeks ago.

Welcome! :wave:

With CC level at 1 and overnight loss of 3, something is in that water you don't want. It could be residual bacquacil, or it could be algae. Did you replace your filter cartridge to remove any leftover goo? Have you scrubbed out the lader and the steps? How far along are you in the process in this article?

If you really are done with the conversion...
In Victorville, with no CYA, I'd expect the sun to breakdown the chlorine almost as fast as you can pour it in. You need to get some CYA in there - maybe 30 or so, and then take the pool up to 12 FC and keep it there, adding more every hour if needed until it holds. And once it starts holding, then raise CYA up to 50 or 60 and maintain the FC at the proper level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.