Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool is a bleach pig! Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Victorville, CA

My pool is a bleach pig! Help!

I have just converted my pool from Bacquacil to Chlorine and am having trouble with getting my FC to 15. I have not added CYA yet. I test at night and early in the morning. It is hot here, 100 degress every day. Pool is in full sun all day. My pool went from cloudy to crystal clear. CC level is 1.0. PH is 7.4. FC at night is ranging between 7 and 9 and in the morning it is between 4 and 6 ppm. I follow pool math on adding more chlorine, but my pool eats it up every night. Am I doing something wrong? It's so hot, I want to swim before summer is over. I started conversion 1.5 weeks ago.
    6000 gallon above ground pool. Cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: My pool is a bleach pig! Help!

With CC level at 1 and overnight loss of 3, something is in that water you don't want. It could be residual bacquacil, or it could be algae. Did you replace your filter cartridge to remove any leftover goo? Have you scrubbed out the lader and the steps? How far along are you in the process in this article?

If you really are done with the conversion...
    In Victorville, with no CYA, I'd expect the sun to breakdown the chlorine almost as fast as you can pour it in. You need to get some CYA in there - maybe 30 or so, and then take the pool up to 12 FC and keep it there, adding more every hour if needed until it holds. And once it starts holding, then raise CYA up to 50 or 60 and maintain the FC at the proper level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!