Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This beginner has a few questions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Bedford, KY

This beginner has a few questions

This beginner has a few questions. I've slowly converted to the TFPC way of life. The tipping point was two weeks ago when my pool started to take a turn for the worse. I started to grab the algaecide and such, but then decided to go all-in with TFPC. I came out of my situation nicely. My question is this: I have some Pool Perfect with Phos-free. Is it ok to use this till gone or should I leave it on the shelf? I also have some shock that doesn't contain CYA. CH is not an issue since I'm on the low side of normal.

One side note. Since I've went to bleach and scrapped the puck, my TA and pH stay on target. I was always adjusting these with the 2 Bs and thought it was because of the acid rain here in the Ohio Valley. Even though the rain is acidic, it doesn't mess with my water as much as the pucks did.

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: This beginner has a few questions

You should never add something you don't need to add to the pool. Pool Perfect is only worth using when you are having a major problem with oil in the water (tanning oil typically, but also motor oil or organic oils). Phos-Free is never worth using.

Pucks are very acidic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School