New pool owner.

Jul 2, 2014
Upstate NY
Bought house in April this year. Have a rectangular IGP with about 25000 gal water with deep and shallow end. Firs pool I ever owned, it's about 10 years old with sand filter and 1 hp Hayward pump. Had no idea about anything and could not understand the pool store (because they have no idea about most of the stuff). Pool opened cloudy, and would not get better. Read a lot of pool school and dropped 10 gal liquid chlorine 12% followed by some clarifier (probably should not have used), and eventually pool got crystal clear and everything was within perimeters. So far I use test strips and go to pool store weekly for liquid chlorine supply and computer testing. Currently only use baking soda and borax if needed, started with bleach but pool store chlorine seems to be cheaper and double strength. Added CYA to pool by using tablets. Learned everything here, so thank you guys all for all the great advice!

Great job getting it cleared up! Please remember that the test strips are not very accurate and it can be a toss up as to weather your pool store testing is any better. many times it comes down to which employee does the test.

I would suggest you pick up one of the recommended test kits. The kits available at the pool stores usually won't cut it.

Believe me, if the hi test pool store chlorine was available to me I would be using it. As you have discovered it is more cost effective.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Great, that helps.

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do.Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thanks for the great advice. I read a lot and finally understand all the values important to the pool water as well as the relationships between them. That is, I feel the most important thing. The first two weeks I was ready to fill I the pool with dirt. Now it's a breeze and it's cheap thanks to all these people here. It should not be this easy, but it is. Many of my neighbors run SWGs but I will stick with BBB. Why fix something that ain't broken. Also I love the fresh smell of chlorinated water or I should say no smell whatsoever. Well actually there is no smell at first and then when you get out you smell the chloramines that are attacking the dirt. Lol. Thank you all once again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.