Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Longtime lurker, first time poster. Looking for a solar heater - Orlando FL

1. Back To Top    #1

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Looking for a solar heater - Orlando FL

We have a 322 sq ft, 11,400 gallon screened pool. I'm looking to add a solar system to extend the season. I think 5 or 6 panels may be what I need based on what I saw at the Florida Solar Energy Center website. There appears to be many different brands of panels that exist - I think we've possibly narrowed our seach down to FAFCO or Aquatherm, based on the ratings on the FSEC site. Any pros / cons of going with either? We upgraded our pump from 1 hp to 1.5 hp when we built the pool, so we didn't need to upgrade the pump when we want to add a solar system. Anyone know of any good installers in Orlando?

Thank
    Travis

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Longtime lurker, first time poster. Looking for a solar heater - Orlando FL

Hello Travis,
    My suggestion would be to call a couple of local places, get a few estimates with references, then actually call the references.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Hello Travis,
    My suggestion would be to call a couple of local places, get a few estimates with references, then actually call the references.
    Thanks! I have a guy coming out on Thursday for a quote with FAFCO panels. Hopefully it will be reasonable!

4. Back To Top    #4

So an installer came out today, and we went over the cost and options. He quoted us $4100 for 6 FAFCO sunsaver panels and a Pentair solar touch controller. He said that the FAFCO panels (which were incidentally cheaper than the Aquatherm), would produce better results, due to their design that has the water flow metering system. He said that with the # of panels that we'd need, that not all of the Aquatherms would provide the same BTU's as the FAFCO's. I plan on getting another quote from another installer to get an idea if we are in the ballpark in cost. Their company is A+ with the BBB, and has good reviews online (at least compared to other shops in the area).

5. Back To Top    #5

I am looking for solar panels in Orlando as well. I was wondering how this installation went for you?