My Build: 24' x 52" Radiant Pool Build Diary w/ Photos

Jun 3, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
Decided to take the plunge this year and get a pool. I have posted a few other times here, but I wanted to share my journey, since you will appreciate the journey and not just the finished product. Don't be too harsh on me, this is my first build and my dad's second (his last was over 20 years ago). So here we go:

Pick a spot. The only spot to be 10' from the property line and 10' from the house is where the shed is. Well there were other spots, but none where I wanted to cut down trees or have electric lines moved.

EDEC16E2-8D38-4CBA-A50E-C603A503197B.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Moving the the shed with two trucks and rollers. Here we are just pushing it back. We had a tow strap on the back of both of our trucks and pretty much said 'go' at the same time. Hey, it worked. We will probably laugh about it for years.

7BE7E7A3-8D93-421F-83D5-27C083DC010C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The guy I hired to dig a flat hole in my hard. He said it was within an inch from front to back. I found it to be just about 4 inches off. He was cheap, and available so i guess that is what you get. I ended up using 4" blocks in the front down to 2" blocks partially buried. I leveled the ground with limestone dust, and packed it with a plate vibrator four times. Then it down poured, so I packed it twice more after that.

945D83CD-3364-4B08-A95A-4CE17EA052A0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

At least the rain showed me the low spots :)

68C97A43-18F6-4E7C-B281-524E7F7270A4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Starting to put up the walls before the sand came:
B364088D-892D-4F1A-9648-EC2C51B6434E.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
83EF142F-DBEC-43A0-A5B8-BAC0E0B3D0E5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sand is here!
4CBAAA1A-9E28-44DF-9981-F1915161AC24.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C7858742-6DEB-4958-8A0A-6A71CDDC1C94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Putting in the liner, I was worried about it stretching, but sure enough, it did:

C06135DC-790C-477E-8542-6C5237C3D481.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Getting out the wrinkles:
22D94B33-7243-4D8B-82BC-31C4BA59EF05.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

E9CBEDED-CFA1-478C-B4E5-C6BB6541CF5D.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Starting the fence before I get water delivered:
F8124B69-F789-424E-87EE-077555A08598.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
8B376635-3D5B-495B-ADC4-3BCC53018D68.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well that's it so far. That is what a holiday weekend got me. I added some temporary welded wire fence on the other side. I really really really hope that will pass for inspection so I can get the pool filled. Right now I have about 12" in it to keep the liner down. That fence will be temporary while i work on the deck and backfill in the back side of the pool. I do have more details pictures too. This is just a quick overview.

So how am I doing? thoughts? suggestions? I am open to any of them.

Thanks for watching my journey.

Hey Matt...it's Matt!

Do you know if the Radiant pool can be used with a saltwater generator? On my Intex pool, I have it sitting on sheet's of Styrofoam taped together. It has really helped with maintaining the temperature. It doesn't take much to get it to 80 degress and as high as 89. I know Styrofoam isn't the long term answer but do you know if it is possible to use one of those Gorilla pads or something similar? Have you been happy with the Radiant kit itself? I know the job of the ground prep is a whole different story! Thanks for answering my thread and you posting yours! I may have more questions down the road.

Matt

Matt

Re: My Build: 24' x 52" Radiant Pool Build Diary w/ Photos

Hey Matt...it's Matt!

Do you know if the Radiant pool can be used with a saltwater generator? On my Intex pool, I have it sitting on sheet's of Styrofoam taped together. It has really helped with maintaining the temperature. It doesn't take much to get it to 80 degress and as high as 89. I know Styrofoam isn't the long term answer but do you know if it is possible to use one of those Gorilla pads or something similar? Have you been happy with the Radiant kit itself? I know the job of the ground prep is a whole different story! Thanks for answering my thread and you posting yours! I may have more questions down the road.

Matt

Matt

Hey Matt. I am not sure if you can use a SWG. I was considering one myself, but I read that it could harm the aluminum and case it to corrode sooner. However the walls are covered with the vinyl design, and the top has the coping. So it would only be the seams on the side that would be exposed. I have a friend that has a SWG on his in-ground, and they love it. So right now I am going to start the BBB method with the TF-100 test kit. I did put down a gorilla pad, and it helped with smoothing out the wrinkles, plus it feels good on the feet. I compacted so many times the sand was all kinds of hard, so this makes it feel nice on the feet. Keeping in mind I have only been in it once since I am waiting for my inspector to come before I can finish filling it.

The kit itself was awesome. There are hardly any parts, the walls, the splines, coping, and the brackets at the bottom. I was telling a guy about my pool at work, since he just bought a typical aboveground, it seems like he had a little buyers remorse. I would say we had 9/10 walls up in less than an hour maybe less than 45 minutes. After sand and gorilla pad we put the last panel on and put the liner in.

Any other questions let me know. I am sitting here right now waiting for my inspector to show up, he said he would be here mid morning. Its now almost 1pm. Grr

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good. Are you going to do a deck around it or just use a ladder to get in and out?

That is what I am trying to decide now. Back by the fence the pool is almost level with the ground, so I am going to do pavers, or wood deck. Or maybe a combo of both.

- - - Updated - - -

Hilarious on the shed moving, from someone who has moved around a few in his day!

It was funny. Everyone I told about it just thought it was the funniest thing. Sometimes ya just gotta get it done! :)

I love the wrinkle brigade! They are so cute and I could have used them last year when I was doing mine! :mrgreen: You've done an excellent job and very redneckish way to successfully move the shed! Love it and laughed so hard when I saw it! :mrgreen:

You just have to love the rolling hills of Pennsylvania! I don't know if you saw mine but here's our hill build!

Rounding the Corner to an Above Ground Pool Build

I love the wrinkle brigade! They are so cute and I could have used them last year when I was doing mine! :mrgreen: You've done an excellent job and very redneckish way to successfully move the shed! Love it and laughed so hard when I saw it! :mrgreen:

You just have to love the rolling hills of Pennsylvania! I don't know if you saw mine but here's our hill build!

Rounding the Corner to an Above Ground Pool Build

Thanks. My helpers were great. They had a blast, of course they were soaked in like 10 minutes. I actually started to read your build yesterday, then got called away from my computer. I still have it open in a tab to finish it. I love the journey people take. It seems like if I had a problem, chances are someone else had the same problem. So it is nice to see how they deal with it.

So you are in Brownsville, you are not to far from me. I actually do some work out in Uniontown now and again, as I work for the cable provider in Uniontown.

I actually do some work out in Uniontown now and again, as I work for the cable provider in Uniontown.

I can't resist... how can you be upset with the inspector for not showing up when promised? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. My helpers were great. They had a blast, of course they were soaked in like 10 minutes. I actually started to read your build yesterday, then got called away from my computer. I still have it open in a tab to finish it. I love the journey people take. It seems like if I had a problem, chances are someone else had the same problem. So it is nice to see how they deal with it.

So you are in Brownsville, you are not to far from me. I actually do some work out in Uniontown now and again, as I work for the cable provider in Uniontown.

Armstrong? I'm right on the border of Washington County. We live on the hill off 40, very close to Napa Auto Parts and the Fire Dept. It's the nice part of Brownsville... because every town has their Ghetto. :shock:

You may be familiar with this view... :mrgreen:

I moved here from Connellsville and wasn't sure how I'd like Brownsville but I love it here, our little neighborhood, and our home. We have an occasional patrol going through and we know our neighbors by name. I've never had a problem with anyone but I still sleep with my 9 and the Rotty gets full rein of the house. :goodjob:

Here's a better view... looks kinda hazy in the last pic.

Nice work Matt, looks great!

FYI, we have many pools out there using SWGs, and havent seen any issues with corrosion. Using a SWG will also not affect the warranty in any way. Enjoy, and definitely keep posting as you work on the fence / entry system / patio!

This project has me upset with everything. I got the OK from the inspector when he showed up at 3. So I filled the pool and now dealing with a drip at the skimmer. I tightened up everything, slowed the drip but did not stop it. So I just got a shower and went to bed. I had enough of it already.

- - - Updated - - -

Armstrong?

Nah. Atlantic Broadband. Although we are pretty familiar with some of the guys at Armstrong in your area.

Nice view by the way!!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, we have many pools out there using SWGs, and havent seen any issues with corrosion. Using a SWG will also not affect the warranty in any way. Enjoy, and definitely keep posting as you work on the fence / entry system / patio!

That is good news. I might consider that for next year then. At this point, I just want to get in it and enjoy it. Working on the electric tonight.

A leaky skimmer, 6 hours of working on it, throwing screwdrivers and cursing got me a bad case of shoulder tendonitis that I'm still dealing with (fixed it in April)... oh and PT 2x's a week. I just don't want to talk about leaky skimmer boxes! :shock:

E9A

Are you a rep for Radiant pools? You can use a SWG with a Radiant pool? I'm very interested in having one buried! If you are a rep, I have several questions for you. : )

Thanks!
(Different) Matt

E9A

Are you a rep for Radiant pools? You can use a SWG with a Radiant pool? I'm very interested in having one buried! If you are a rep, I have several questions for you. : )

Thanks!
(Different) Matt

PM sent.

In keeping with the rules that the mods here have set, any questions relating to a specific installation should be left off the forum, however I believe I can answer general product questions publicly. The Radiant Metric is indeed rated for semi- to full burial, or into a slope (as seen here), and we have numerous pools matched with SWGs and have seen no issues.

Here are a few pictures at dusk. One more panel for the fence and it is done. I will add that after the deck is finished. Also is a few pictures other miscellaneous pictures. Just dreaming about swimming, as temps have barely hit the 70s this week. Typically a mid August in central PA is mid to upper 80s during the day, 70 at night, and 90% humidity.

B8CCF57B-4D7D-4AF8-94FC-CCAB6F90A9FE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2B54F939-1839-4145-B9E0-391599114C97.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
55A8A762-9B95-42C6-8A4D-4DDF1E07B27A.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, its 8:47 and the temp is 62. Makes me sick.

Well, I am finally done. Well almost, I have a couple small things to tidy up. But here is the final results.

7F90AA8E-3841-449C-854C-6BE2B3493C2C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0767.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0779.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0775.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0785.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0786.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0783.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0783.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I show this last picture because I used a really cool tool. It was called a Camo Marksman, I got it at Home Depot. It put the screws in from the side. It basically is a jig that guides the special screws in through the side of the board into the joist. It turned out really nice not seeing screws. The screws create splinters and just plain look crappy. But with this, if you ever need to replace a board, you can just unscrew it from the side, not have to remove a bunch.

http://www.camofasteners.com

IMG_0788.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0791.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

All I really need to do is pour some concrete sidewalk to get rid of the red pavers, and put up a small railing on the far end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.