Alkalinity test question

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
When using The Pool Calculator should I be entering the CYA adjusted result or the result straight from the drops test? I usually get my water tested by Shasta Pool and the multiply the CYA by .3 and subtract that from the drops result. I hope I stated this clearly enough. :?
Thanks

At normal CYA levels (up to about 50 ppm) the adjustment is usually less than the accuracy of the test itself so I would not worry about it. The only time it is an issue is with very high CYA levels....100 ppm or higher.

My Pool Calculator and the recommended levels at TFP are designed to correspond to the numbers straight from the test kit. The only time you normally need the CYA correction factor is when calculating LSI. The Pool Calculator makes the correction for you when calculating CSI.

My CYA = 70 and Alkalinity = 80. It seemed a bit low to me. PH tends to rise. Should I increase the Alkalinity level?
Thanks
My Pool Calculator and the recommended levels at TFP are designed to correspond the numbers straight from the test kit. The only time you normally need the CYA correction factor is when calculating LSI. The Pool Calculator makes the correction for you when calculating CSI.

Thanks, I shoul have waited a bit for the answer :-D

meatloaf said:
My CYA = 70 and Alkalinity = 80. It seemed a bit low to me. PH tends to rise. Should I increase the Alkalinity level?
Thanks
If your pH is rising I would lower the TA a bit more, say 60-70 ppm. If you have a plaster pool you will want ot raise your CH accordingly to keep the water balanced.

waterbear said:
meatloaf said:
Thanks
If your pH is rising I would lower the TA a bit more, say 60-70 ppm. If you have a plaster pool you will want ot raise your CH accordingly to keep the water balanced.

waterbear- so if you have a pool who's pH likes to rise to 7.8 and pretty much hold there on it's own. We should keep our TA levels around 70/80?

JasonLion said:
My Pool Calculator and the recommended levels at TFP are designed to correspond to the numbers straight from the test kit. The only time you normally need the CYA correction factor is when calculating LSI. The Pool Calculator makes the correction for you when calculating CSI.

What do LSI and CSI stand for? I looked in Pool School/Abbreviations but couldn't find those.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The calcite saturation index is a tool for estimating the likelihood of plaster corrosion or calcite scaling. The LSI, Langelier Saturation Index, is a very similar but slightly less acurate measure. The CSI uses PH, TA, CH, CYA, temperature, Borate, and Salt levels to estimate the likelihood of problems. A low saturation index means the water is likely to dissolve calcite out of paster, pebble, tile, stone, and concrete surfaces (and perhaps fiberglass) which will eventually cause damage. A high saturation index means the water is likely to deposit calcite scale on the walls of the pool and in the plumbing.

CSI is most sensitive to changes in PH. With a plaster pool, it is best to try and get your CSI a little below zero, so that changes in PH won't shift your pool too far towards corrosion or scaling. With a vinyl pool the CSI can be kept more negative, which makes it very unlikely that PH changes could get the CSI into the range of scaling risk.

This can be found at The Pool Calculator

meatloaf said:
This can be found at The Pool Calculator

Thanks pal. Now I feel like a puppy with her nose rubbed in it.

Since CSI (NOT the TV show!) apparently requires an esoteric calculation with a slide rule (I do have several of those) and since I have not a clue as to what the formula is, I don't have a hope of figuring that one out. Then again, since I have a liner pool, no heater, no SWG, and PVC plumbing I probably don't need to stress out over it too much. Or do I?

You don't want to try and calculate CSI by hand. But my Pool Calculator will do all the math for you, making it very simple to find out in practice. If you really want to calculate something by hand, use LSI.

LSI and CSI are only important when you have a plaster/pebble pool and are forced to be outside the normally recommended ranges for one or more of your chemical levels. If you stick with the recommended levels you will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.