Advice with pool removal

Jul 7, 2014
Kars
Hi Everyone,

Asking for some help from Ottawa, Ontario. Just purchased a house with a retro 30x16 in-ground that had been left unmaintained for many years by the old owner. After getting some estimates, it will cost us $18,000-$22,000 before the taxes to get the pool up and running, concrete poured, etc. We're planning to scrap it, fill in the hole properly and maybe put in an above ground next summer.

Looking for some advice on a few things...
1) I attached a photo of the metal corner panels/brackets. I've removed most of the coping, but can't seem to get these corner pieces to come off. Any tips? Do I just need to keep using the elbow grease and prybar?

2) Any advice or warnings for filling with soil, etc? I've read that I just need to jack-hammer some holes in the bottom for drainage, and then jack-hammer the top 1-2 feet of the walls and place the rubble in the hole before I bury it with fill/soil. I can rent the jack-hammer, do the work and we have some local friends who will just give us the soil. Any warnings/redflags/advice come up in your mind? Have heard that it is a good idea to put a small layer of gravel at the bottom before we fill with soil, but I'm not sure if this is really needed. Also wondering what's inside the metal walls (rebar, etc). I've attached a photo of what the walls look like.

Won't let me upload my photos...small jpegs...keeps telling me the upload failed. The corner panels are heavier metal and have "Mermaid" stamped on the top. Can't seem to pull them off. I'll be sure to take out at least 4 feet of the side walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.