Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice with pool removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice with pool removal

Hi Everyone,

Asking for some help from Ottawa, Ontario. Just purchased a house with a retro 30x16 in-ground that had been left unmaintained for many years by the old owner. After getting some estimates, it will cost us $18,000-$22,000 before the taxes to get the pool up and running, concrete poured, etc. We're planning to scrap it, fill in the hole properly and maybe put in an above ground next summer.

Looking for some advice on a few things...
    1) I attached a photo of the metal corner panels/brackets. I've removed most of the coping, but can't seem to get these corner pieces to come off. Any tips? Do I just need to keep using the elbow grease and prybar?

2) Any advice or warnings for filling with soil, etc? I've read that I just need to jack-hammer some holes in the bottom for drainage, and then jack-hammer the top 1-2 feet of the walls and place the rubble in the hole before I bury it with fill/soil. I can rent the jack-hammer, do the work and we have some local friends who will just give us the soil. Any warnings/redflags/advice come up in your mind? Have heard that it is a good idea to put a small layer of gravel at the bottom before we fill with soil, but I'm not sure if this is really needed. Also wondering what's inside the metal walls (rebar, etc). I've attached a photo of what the walls look like.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice with pool removal

Welcome Brett. In my area Georgetown On its necessary to go to town hall to get a decommissioning permit. http://www.haltonhills.ca/DesignCons...20Brochure.pdf . Also your photos didn't show up
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Where I am you need four feet of clear soil, i.e. any concrete/metal in the top four feet needs to be removed from the site or buried below that level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Won't let me upload my photos...small jpegs...keeps telling me the upload failed. The corner panels are heavier metal and have "Mermaid" stamped on the top. Can't seem to pull them off. I'll be sure to take out at least 4 feet of the side walls.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would contact local government to see if there are requirements for removal depth, fill, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Also

Posting Photos Tutorial
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Too bad it wasn't more reasonable to put her back in shape
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!