Splash Pad pump wont prime

Jul 3, 2014
Phoenix/AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm a happy pool owner but helping a friend with their splash pad. It's been sitting for about 18 months without running. I cleaned the basket, lubber the o rings, cleaned the cartridge filter. Replaced the multiport gear assembly and was able to get it to prime and cycle.

However the pressure was very low (4 psi). After letting it run for about an hour it would no longer cycle as the pressure dropped to zero. I cleaned the pump basket and cartridge again (yes it needed it). Reconnected everything and now cannot get the pump to prime.

After reading on this site I though perhaps the impeller was clogged but upon disassembling it was perfectly clear and free from cracks, etc.

I'm thinking the problem is the pump but wanted to get some more informed opinions. The pad and equipment is about 3-4 years old.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Well now the basket is completely empty as I cannot get it to prime at all. However when I had it running, the basket was full and would stay full upon shut down but all my work transpired over the course of one afternoon so it's not like I allowed it to sit overnight to find an empty basket for example.

When it was running the pressure was so very low as mentioned. So while the basket would fill(during which time the pump was noisy) the multi port valve would not fill. Hence it rotated slowly through the circuits.

In an effort to increase the pressure, I fully opened the valve with a handle just after the filter canister. Also fully closed th bypass valve and also closed the three valves next to the multi port gear assembly. All these changes combined resulted in a modest jump in system pressure to 4 psi.

It seems like those are extreme settings that shouldn't be necessary.

Do you think there could be a water volume issue? Something wrong with the auto fill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.