Kool Deck repainting options??

Aug 2, 2008
Georgetown, TX
Hi everyone,

When we built our pool we had them put in a concrete deck with texture on it.. then paint of some type. Typically referred to as Kool Deck or close to that.

It has been about 5 years now, and I am tired of the color and want it darker.

What options do I have DIY wise in terms of repainting my deck? Would anyone recommend something like a garage / concrete paint? The bottle of patch color the guys gave me seems like it is just a type of paint, so I wonder if they used 1 epoxy as well.

I appreciate your input.

Dave

No experience, but I would tend to think that you would have a ton of problems getting another epoxy type coating to stick to the original. THAT will be your biggest challenge. I would do some research on bonding old epoxy-type coatings to new. I am sure there is some type of etching primer that's needed to chemically convert the old coating from hard and slick to soft and welcoming. Wait, what did I just say there.....

In any event, take a look there.

Thanks. I actually put out a gallon. It stuck... Maybe it will peel off later. It was an experiment pretty much. Will see if a power washer will take it off or not.

I think a darker color will make it a bit hotter, but it is pretty darn light now, so I don't care too much.

Thanks. I actually put out a gallon. It stuck... Maybe it will peel off later. It was an experiment pretty much. Will see if a power washer will take it off or not.

I think a darker color will make it a bit hotter, but it is pretty darn light now, so I don't care too much.
If you didn't use a bonding agent first, it will start chipping off....the previous owner did that, that's why I redid it...the right way...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We repainted with Kool deck and had no problems. 7 years now and we're repainting due to color not chipping. We did not lay down a bonder first we just painted with cool that paint. I will say the only issue we're having is be careful if you have metal furniture because if it rusts it will stain the deck.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.