Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kool Deck repainting options??

1. Back To Top    #1

Kool Deck repainting options??

Hi everyone,

When we built our pool we had them put in a concrete deck with texture on it.. then paint of some type. Typically referred to as Kool Deck or close to that.

It has been about 5 years now, and I am tired of the color and want it darker.

What options do I have DIY wise in terms of repainting my deck? Would anyone recommend something like a garage / concrete paint? The bottle of patch color the guys gave me seems like it is just a type of paint, so I wonder if they used 1 epoxy as well.

I appreciate your input.

Dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Kool Deck repainting options??

No one knows about this??????

I guess I will educate you all after I do some trial and error....

Hard to believe know one has any experience with this!

3. Back To Top    #3

No experience, but I would tend to think that you would have a ton of problems getting another epoxy type coating to stick to the original. THAT will be your biggest challenge. I would do some research on bonding old epoxy-type coatings to new. I am sure there is some type of etching primer that's needed to chemically convert the old coating from hard and slick to soft and welcoming. Wait, what did I just say there.....

In any event, take a look there.
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Wouldnt a darker color be unpleasantly hot? Just something to think about...
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I just did mine, I first pressure wash the deck, then painted on a bonding agent to seal the deck, then painted it with epoxy paint...looks great....

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I actually put out a gallon. It stuck... Maybe it will peel off later. It was an experiment pretty much. Will see if a power washer will take it off or not.

I think a darker color will make it a bit hotter, but it is pretty darn light now, so I don't care too much.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any pics?
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

We have cool deck with a base color and 3 speckled colors added for texture. See my build link maybe it will aid in your decidion.

I really like the feel of sundeck, very easy to clean thus far.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
    Thanks. I actually put out a gallon. It stuck... Maybe it will peel off later. It was an experiment pretty much. Will see if a power washer will take it off or not.

I think a darker color will make it a bit hotter, but it is pretty darn light now, so I don't care too much.
    If you didn't use a bonding agent first, it will start chipping off....the previous owner did that, that's why I redid it...the right way...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Make sense boston. That why I was thinking about testing it with a power washer in a few weeks. Do you know how soon yours started to chip?

Thanks rodog... I will take a look.. BTW, we lived in Pearland about 20 years ago when I worked at JSC.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just bought the home in March, didn't notice it to I moved in, sure looked nice, but when I used a water hose on it, chips would fly right off...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

We repainted with Kool deck and had no problems. 7 years now and we're repainting due to color not chipping. We did not lay down a bonder first we just painted with cool that paint. I will say the only issue we're having is be careful if you have metal furniture because if it rusts it will stain the deck.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

In the Industry

You may want to check with this company. Deck Renew