Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Kool Deck repainting options??

1. Back To Top    #1

Kool Deck repainting options??

Hi everyone,

When we built our pool we had them put in a concrete deck with texture on it.. then paint of some type. Typically referred to as Kool Deck or close to that.

It has been about 5 years now, and I am tired of the color and want it darker.

What options do I have DIY wise in terms of repainting my deck? Would anyone recommend something like a garage / concrete paint? The bottle of patch color the guys gave me seems like it is just a type of paint, so I wonder if they used 1 epoxy as well.

I appreciate your input.

Dave

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Kool Deck repainting options??

No one knows about this??????

I guess I will educate you all after I do some trial and error....

Hard to believe know one has any experience with this!

3. Back To Top    #3

No experience, but I would tend to think that you would have a ton of problems getting another epoxy type coating to stick to the original. THAT will be your biggest challenge. I would do some research on bonding old epoxy-type coatings to new. I am sure there is some type of etching primer that's needed to chemically convert the old coating from hard and slick to soft and welcoming. Wait, what did I just say there.....

In any event, take a look there.
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Wouldnt a darker color be unpleasantly hot? Just something to think about...
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I just did mine, I first pressure wash the deck, then painted on a bonding agent to seal the deck, then painted it with epoxy paint...looks great....

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I actually put out a gallon. It stuck... Maybe it will peel off later. It was an experiment pretty much. Will see if a power washer will take it off or not.

I think a darker color will make it a bit hotter, but it is pretty darn light now, so I don't care too much.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any pics?
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

We have cool deck with a base color and 3 speckled colors added for texture. See my build link maybe it will aid in your decidion.

I really like the feel of sundeck, very easy to clean thus far.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
    Thanks. I actually put out a gallon. It stuck... Maybe it will peel off later. It was an experiment pretty much. Will see if a power washer will take it off or not.

I think a darker color will make it a bit hotter, but it is pretty darn light now, so I don't care too much.
    If you didn't use a bonding agent first, it will start chipping off....the previous owner did that, that's why I redid it...the right way...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Make sense boston. That why I was thinking about testing it with a power washer in a few weeks. Do you know how soon yours started to chip?

Thanks rodog... I will take a look.. BTW, we lived in Pearland about 20 years ago when I worked at JSC.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just bought the home in March, didn't notice it to I moved in, sure looked nice, but when I used a water hose on it, chips would fly right off...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

We repainted with Kool deck and had no problems. 7 years now and we're repainting due to color not chipping. We did not lay down a bonder first we just painted with cool that paint. I will say the only issue we're having is be careful if you have metal furniture because if it rusts it will stain the deck.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

In the Industry

You may want to check with this company. Deck Renew