Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP with skimmer and main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP with skimmer and main drain

Ok I have 2 drains in the deep end of my pool but they only drain when I plug up the skimmer is there any way I could have water pulling from both? Or is it just one or the other?
    17,000gal IG, Plaster, Sandfilter, Starktool 2hp 2 speed pump, has spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP with skimmer and main drain

Most likely it is still drawing water from the drains even when the skimmer is open, just not enough for it to be obvious. Modern anti-entrapment drains can move quite a bit of water without there being any obvious water movement.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Even slow enough that dye couldn't detect the water movement? This is the reason why I say they aren't draining. Like you say it could still be drawing water.

4. Back To Top    #4

What do you mean, plug up the skimmer? Stick a tennis ball in the port? Set a bowl upside down inside? Explain.

If you have two holes in the bottom of the skimmer, one goes to the drain and there should be a diverter of some sort to balance the flow. Mine was missing, so I had zero flow through the drain until I bought one. Got anything that looks like these:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

[IMG]C:\Users\User\Pictures\2014-07-08 jason iphone\jason iphone 421.JPG[/IMG] I do have 2 holes in my skimmer but there is nothing over them. By covering up I just put a plug in the skimmer for a few seconds to check the suction on the drain.

6. Back To Top    #6

If I could figure out just how to add pictures on here...lol I have 2 but cant upload anymore it says and I don't know how to delete the ones I have.

7. Back To Top    #7

ok here is what I have

8. Back To Top    #8

So one of those holes goes to the pump. I'd try sticking the garden hose down the other and see if it flows and where does it come up. And if it blows grit up out of the main drain, you just need one of those flying saucer diverters.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well the hole that is pictured on top is blocked off. I cant get a hose past about 3" then it hits solid.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by taco_oo7 View Post
    Well the hole that is pictured on top is blocked off. I cant get a hose past about 3" then it hits solid.
    How about a picture of your equipment pad, then? Maybe you have a Tee or a valve to control the drains?

11. Back To Top    #11

valves.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I know have the left side off for it just drains the spa. Nothing comes from the drains from that side. I have swam down and put dye out very slowly and there is no suction. A friend said that the drains started sucking when I plugged up the strainer basket and limited the flow. So how is that possible with the other hole sealed off or what seems to be anyways? It feels like I hit concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

now*

12. Back To Top    #12

All I can think off is that the hose hit a 90 degree bend. No water comes up out of the drain when the hose is blasting down the skimmer hole?

13. Back To Top    #13

Ill go out and get in the pool in a few and check to make sure. But it could be a 90 degree. Heck it has to be something...lol because who would put in a pool with drains and not have them plumbed in? I be back within the next hr

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok the drains are pushing water thank you!!! So is there a certain type of diverter or are they basically all the same?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by taco_oo7 View Post
    Ok the drains are pushing water thank you!!! So is there a certain type of diverter or are they basically all the same?
    I just measured the hole and went to the pool store. They had one generic one and it would fit, so I bought it. That's the extent of my knowledge.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok thanks for the help.