Need/best to have automation for variable speed pump ?

Jun 18, 2012
I currently have a 1.5 HP single speed pump and am thinking about doing an upgrade to the pentair intelliflo VS. My vacuum (hayward navigator) is controlled by a 3 way valve. I was thinking with the VS pump on low speed i would want the vac line closed off so that i get the maximum benefit from the skimmer, since at low flow i don't think the vac will move at all. I haven't really been able to find any info on this question which is basically -

If i have a variable speed pump with no automation, and leave my vacuum line in the "on" position, will the skimmer get enough flow to pull in leaves etc ?

Welcome to TFP!

There is no one answer to that question. It depends on many details of your plumbing. You don't want to run the IntelliFlo below 1,000 RPM (it gets less efficient). That flow rate may, or may not, be enough to have good skimming while the cleaner is also getting flow. Of course, if needed you could run the IntelliFlo a little faster. That isn't completely ideal, as high speeds are slightly less efficient, but the loss of efficiency will be very small so not a huge problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.