Intellichem with Liquid Chlorine Tank

We're planning on starting our pool build in the coming month. TFP has provided a wealth of information for a first time pool owner and has been my go to resource. Most of the pool builders in our area are recommending we stay away from chlorinating our pool with a salt water generator for various reasons. Instead, most are recommending Trichlor pucks using a Rainbow Automatic Feeder. Thanks to TFP, I'm terrified of the potential CYA issues when using Trichlor pucks and want a viable alternative. Has anyone used the Pentair Intellichem with a liquid chlorine tank to automate chlorine addition to their pool?

Re: I'm looking at the IntelliChem

Any other thoughts on the Intellichem and its use as a liquid chlorine and acid dosing system for an lower CYA level pool? We're starting our pool build and am thinking about adding it to our equipment list. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

A liquid chlorine tank is fine. You can control it with a timer, and get very good results. A fair number of people use systems like that.

The IntelliChem depends on an ORP sensor. ORP sensors sense many thing, not just chlorine. As a result the ORP reading does not reliably indicate the FC level. The sensors also add significant expense and bring a host of reliability issues. A simple timer will give you better results, for less money, and with far fewer reliability issues.

Thanks for the replies. Regarding a SWG, I'm not a huge fan of having to change to liquid chlorine when the temperature drops below 60 degrees. This seems to be two solutions for the problem while automating liquid chlorine doses is a year-round solution. We also will have some natural stone coping with our new pool build. While the stone we will choose is not a softer sandstone/flagstone, I'd prefer the peace of mind that we won't have to worry about any pitting or corrosion around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.