New pool CYA - Does my strategy sound OK?

+1 with Richard.

It just means it went into the pumps impeller and then into the filter and it's dissolving in there. It will still be up to a week till it's going to be reading on your CYA test.

If you backwash before then whatever is still in the filter goes out the drain hose :evil:

1. Just to make sure I understand ... IF I don't need to backwash, it will eventually dissolve?

2. My builder is coming over sometime this week with a new pressure gauge for the filter. It has some water sitting in it after just a few days. He's going to replace it for us. He shouldn't need to backwash after that, should he? I can have my wife tell him not to if he doesn't need to.

3. Either way, backwash or not, about a week from today my CYA level is going to be what it's going to be, right?

It is dissolving as we speak and will be fully dissolved in six days or less.

You only need to shut off the pump so there's no pressure. Unscrew only one, apply sealant to threads of new on screw in and pump back on if you want it on. No reason to backwash unless the pressure is too high.

Test CYA in six days and it will be an accurate reading of what's in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.