Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add 3/4 hp pump for Solar Heating??? Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada

Add 3/4 hp pump for Solar Heating??? Help

Hi there. I'm new to TFP but loving the wealth of information and sharing. I have recently installed 28 1'x10' Enersol solar panels for my 16x30 kidney IG pool. I use a 1hp single speed pump and assumed it should be strong enough to push the water about 50' away and up 20' and back but the jets are just trickling. I still have my older 3/4 hp Hayward pump and wondered if I could install it at the start of the solar line…perhaps with a ball valve to restrict the flow. Any thoughts? Unfortunately I do not have the technical expertise to measure gpm etc.

Steve O
    20,000 Gal Kidney IG
    1hp singles speed, Sand Filter
    280 ft Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Add 3/4 hp pump for Solar Heating??? Help

I run my panels that are on a two story house with a 1/2 HP pump so pump size is not the issue.

I would look at how you installed them for any problems or issues.

Hopefully you installed the panels in parallel and not in series which would drastically reduce your flow rate.

Also, what size pipe did you use and did you make sure all the check valves are installed correctly?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Add 3/4 hp pump for Solar Heating??? Help

This is one of those situations where photos of your installation can help us spot potential bottle necks, etc
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~