Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My level are good why is my water still cloudy?

1. Back To Top    #1

My level are good why is my water still cloudy?

My test results were
    Ch 3-5 ppm
    Ph 7.5 ppm
    Cya 40 ppm
    Is it normal for my bleach levels be 0 after pool use? And why do i have to add bleach EVERY day? I almost done with whole jug of stabilizer that i bought in walmart.
    Pool info
    Above ground
    6,500 gallons
    Intex filter that came with pool

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My level are good why is my water still cloudy?

The first thing is what test are you using? Strips? Basic chlorine test? The second thing I noticed is you said you've used almost a whole container of stabilizer. How big is the container? By my pool math calculations you should have only had to add 2 lbs. of stabilizer to get to 40. No it's not really normal to have no chlorine after swimming.

You have to add bleach everyday because it is a consumable product. The sun burns some off, as do swimmers, algae and any organic that it comes in contact with. That's what keeps you're water sanitary.

If I had to take a guess and you said you've used most of you're stabilizer, I would guess that your pool is over-stabilized and the chlorine you do add is not enough for your actual cya level.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Chlorine is a consumable item and must be replenish daily. It is consumed by sunlight and organic material in your pool water.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and that'll help you with some basics.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It would make it easier on everyone if you added the pool info to your signature. That way someone wouldn't need to go back to your first post each time they needed that info, like size for chem calculations as it would pop up with each new post you made, thanks. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started

This is your third week with the pool and you're still learning

You ordered the TF100 a couple weeks ago, do you have it now ??

You have small kids and there is a chance they might have had an accident in the pool, that will eat up a lot of chlorine.

Are you comfortable with how you're doing the CYA test, did you try watching the video on it ?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs If you're not accurate on the CYA they you won't be starting out with enough chlorine (bleach). You could also be the other way with too much but your complaint is zero after swimming.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Stabilizer size 4lb. About 1 lb. Left. Yes i just received my TF 100 on july 3. I did tested the chlorine and it was 0 i added the 40 oz. Of bleach then tested again 1 hour later and chlorine was 4 ppm then i tested the cya and it was 40. There has been a few sprinkles here and there but not that much rain.

6. Back To Top    #6

Kids got out of the pool about 2 hours ago and i just tested and chlorine 1ppm and ph 7.5 ppm, water is still cloudy

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to SLAM the pool.

With CYA around 40, during normal operation you want to keep the FC level between 3 and 7, and never let it get below 3.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I thought I would pile on with my 2 cents...

The water is cloudy because the filter is unable to remove whatever is in your pool as fast as it is accumulating. Since your FC is going to 0 you will begin to have algae growth. In fact, that is probably what is making the water cloudy. Go to the pool school link (at the top of the page) and read Defeating Algae
    In it, you will want to follow the Slamming your pool link for instructions on how to get ahead of this blooming problem.

I read an Intek manual over the weekend, and what I read, they seem to think allowing the FC to go to 0 during the day ok. All of us here at the TFP forum will tell you that's not the case. In fact, you will learn as pepsiholic stated above, that you must have CYA in the pool to allow the FC to stick around during the day, and that for any CYA level, there is a minimum amount of FC you must have in the pool at all times to be assured that algae etc. wont grow.

Once you are prepared to SLAM your pool, you will start by adding 5 qts of 8.5% CL bleach to the pool, and do your best to continue adding bleach to maintain a 16ppm CL level for CYA-40 pool, as directed in the SLAM instructions. The PoolMath link will give you the ability to adjust for beach strength (5-12.5%), CYA level, and the other chemistry levels you get from your test kit.

First order of business, read the above info and start SLAMming asap.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Let me add that you will probably need at least 3-4 gallons of beach to get through the first day/night of SLAMming. So don't be surprised if you make several trips to Wally World over the next couple days before your are back to crystal clear water again.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I already stocked up with 10 jug of bleach. So i keep slamming until it gets clear? Thank you soo much

11. Back To Top    #11

What does SWG pool mean?

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Salt Water Generator.
    Salt water chlorination is a process that uses dissolved salt (2,500–6,000 ppm) as a store for the chlorination system.[1] The chlorine generator (also known as salt cell, salt generator, salt chlorinator) uses electrolysis in the presence of dissolved salt (NaCl) to produce hypochlorous acid (HCIO) and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), which are the sanitizing agents already commonly used in swimming pools. As such, a saltwater pool is not actually chlorine-free; it simply utilizes a chlorine generator instead of direct addition of chlorine.

Just a different way to keep chlorine in your pool.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pjc2cast View Post
    I already stocked up with 10 jug of bleach. So i keep slamming until it gets clear? Thank you soo much
    Keep SLAMing until you meet the three criteria to determine it is finished. See red lines in my sig
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

So i just keep testing the free chlorine? Not ph or alkaline

16. Back To Top    #16

Do i have the FAS-DPD chlorine test in my TF 100 test kit. I just tested the free chlorine is 22 ppm

17. Back To Top    #17

Have you taken the time to read Pool School yet? You *need* to understand what your pool needs to keep it clean and healthy, especially if you have young kids swimming in there (and more opportunities for extra "organic" materials to get in the pool).

My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

22 is a bit high. Is that what you were aiming for and if so why ??

With your CYA around 40 you should maintain a SLAM level of 16. Life gets in the way and some times it's helpful to go a little over so if you don't test soon enough you don't drop as much. Little over like 18ppm. The thing you need to understand is that you need to maintain that level of 16 and hold it there as best you can. If you drop too far under the 16ppm before you add again algae can start to grow again.

Like Richard said earlier and it shows in the chart: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock With CYA around 40, during normal operation you want to keep the FC level between 3 and 7, and never let it get below 3.
    That needs to be followed after you complete the SLAM to maintain a clean pool. If you add CYA or dump water then you need to recheck the CYA level and check the chart to see where you should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pjc2cast View Post
    So i just keep testing the free chlorine? Not ph or alkaline
    With FC above 10 the pH test isn't reliable and for now all you need to do is focus on the FC and brush the pool daily at least once. Testing for CC would be good as that's part of knowing when you have arrived at the end of your SLAM. Everything else comes next.

This is in Pool School and it's important to know:
    SLAM:

Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
    Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
    Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day
    Backwash or clean the filter as needed
    Vacuum up debris as needed

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes i tried to aim to 16 ppm then tested 2 hours later and it showed 22 ppm

20. Back To Top    #20

I added the 150 oz. Of bleach That the pool math said but it went up to 22 ppm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast