Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Slow SLAM progress -- related to circulation ?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    bridgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Bowmanville, ON Canada

    Slow SLAM progress -- related to circulation ?

    I have seen a few cases recently where people who seem to be following the SLAM process correctly are seeing very slow progress AND the usual complications (leaves on bottom, algae behind light or in ladder rungs) do not seem to be present. Other folks then sometimes post that a "nuclear shock" helped them where a regular SLAM did not -- don't think that's the answer but it seems to me there probably is something else slowing progress.

    Based on my own limited experiences SLAM-ing a hot tub (you there in the back, stop snickering) and re-reading a number of threads, I'm starting to suspect that the common problem with these slow SLAMs may be insufficient circulation which results in *local* areas of low FC, allowing algae to grow in these areas even if a suitable FC level is being maintained in the pool as a whole.

    In these cases, adding an insane amount of chlorine might help because it would probably raise FC levels everywhere and have a good chance of raising the areas with poor circulation to a sufficiently high FC level to get the algae level trending down rather than up. Of course the same could be said for more-resistant-than-normal algae, or a number of other causes.

    At the moment I don't have any great suggestions for how the current practices should be changed if this did turn out to be a common problem -- I don't think nuclear SLAM is the right answer -- but wondering if it's something we should be asking about or experimenting with a bit when SLAMs seem to go on forever in the future.

    Just a thought...
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Houston, Texas

    Re: Slow SLAM progress -- related to circulation ?

    Everyone should be brushing daily during the slam. That will insure the water mixes well even with pockets of poor circulation, and any protective films on the algae are removed. I imagine this step is often skipped due to time constraints. That would be a good question to ask for slow to clear pools.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry
    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sebring, Florida

    Re: Slow SLAM progress -- related to circulation ?

    There is a reason for the upper limits we suggest. SLAMming the pool to unlimited levels makes no sense. In addition to the very real damage to equipment and liners, If 100 ppm is really helpful, then why not 2000 ppm?

    We have to have a speed limit on the forum. you can certainly go as fast as you want but what we KNOW is the limits suggested are safe and they work. Everything else and you are on your own.

    Far, Far, Far and away the most common problem for a slow SLAM is failure by the poster to maintain SLAM values. No one really wants to admit that but those of us on the forum 365 x 7 years see it time and time again.

    If you are willing to commit to the SLAM process (stop being stingy with the chlorine) the process works.....every time and mostly on time.

    The filtration part of the SLAM is the most common failure and, more than anything else, that is either inadequate sizing of the filtration system or poster's failure to understand the importance of cleaning the system....probably about 65-70% inadequate filtration system and the other 30% not understanding how to clean the system.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts