Paver Nightmare

Jul 26, 2011
So, its been a year since my install (roughly) and my pavers are a mess. Edges are cracking or disintegrating, large chunks are capping off, etc. I had the paver supplier out and they are pointing fingers at the installer and general contractor.

Anyway, I need to get involved. Is there someway to pull some pavers and ship them to a lab to be tested? I would assume there are standards for a paver to be rated for outdoor use? Some type of compression/strength test or something.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

It is travertine. The supplier of the pavers knew it was going around my saltwater pool and said the pavers were rated for outside. They were installed last June. so they have seen roughly a year use, but we noticed the issue in February. The pavers were sealed twice last year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not according to them, but I hear you. I have a ton of this around the pool as far as 17' feet away from the pool. At no time has the pool water splashed out on these pavers and I am getting the same type of issues????

The middle piece can pop loose just like the edges, if there's a lot of lateral pressure in the stone. That's still my gut feeling. You get similar things if you install tile too close together and with no expansion joints. Speaking of which, do you have any, and how big is your deck?

I was hoping to find an outside/3rd party expert to come out and look it over. I just need to know what my options are. There is some pavers that are tight, but others with a 1/4" spacing between them with similar issues, so I struggle with it being an installation issue only. I am going to start calling around Utah to see, but I would be willing to fly someone out. The job was roughly $22k because of the amount (see pic of pool area), so spending $1k for an expert to be used in court will be worth it (assuming worse case). Luckily, all my legal fees will be covered due to some close friends in the legal field.

Sorry pic is from security camera system, so quality ain;t great.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 300
How were the pavers grouted together? Did the landscaper use the traditional sand and shake method (rare) or did they use epoxy sand to fill the joints?

Who did the installation? Pool builder, a subcontractor that the PB used or an independent 3rd party like a landscaper?

Do you know where the stone came from? Do you have a bill of materials? Was it a local supplier?

Have you spoken with your homeowners insurance company to see if this is something they will cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.