Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paver Nightmare

1. Back To Top    #1

Paver Nightmare

So, its been a year since my install (roughly) and my pavers are a mess. Edges are cracking or disintegrating, large chunks are capping off, etc. I had the paver supplier out and they are pointing fingers at the installer and general contractor.

Anyway, I need to get involved. Is there someway to pull some pavers and ship them to a lab to be tested? I would assume there are standards for a paver to be rated for outdoor use? Some type of compression/strength test or something.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Paver Nightmare

Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

3. Back To Top    #3

Waldog, good point, won't let me upload photos, says I have exceeded my limit. Trying to figure it out -(

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Few more:

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Where are you located?
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

7. Back To Top    #7

It looks like perhaps they were installed too tightly.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

What about the ones with large chunks coming out of the middle of the tile?

Salt Lake City, UTAH.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like travertine. Did you seal it? Do you have a saltwater pool?
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build

10. Back To Top    #10

It is travertine. The supplier of the pavers knew it was going around my saltwater pool and said the pavers were rated for outside. They were installed last June. so they have seen roughly a year use, but we noticed the issue in February. The pavers were sealed twice last year.

11. Back To Top    #11

Saltwater and travertine???? That's a big no no!
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Not according to them, but I hear you. I have a ton of this around the pool as far as 17' feet away from the pool. At no time has the pool water splashed out on these pavers and I am getting the same type of issues????

13. Back To Top    #13

Is your coping travertine as well? If so, are they suffering from the same problem? Our pool build will start in a month and we are planning to use travertine for our coping and some of the decking.

14. Back To Top    #14

The middle piece can pop loose just like the edges, if there's a lot of lateral pressure in the stone. That's still my gut feeling. You get similar things if you install tile too close together and with no expansion joints. Speaking of which, do you have any, and how big is your deck?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

I have absolutely nothing to say to help you other than I am so sorry. This is a nightmare. I hope someone here can give you so thoughts that will be useful.
    22,000 gallons, IG ,vinyl, AstralCantabric sand filter, magnatech century corp. pump- 2.0 HP, Just took over home with an August 4, 1975 pool and system, though pump, filter and lining have been replaced at one point. Have been to swamp and back....

16. Back To Top    #16

wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. I have no insight to share. Sure is scaring me away from choosing travertine for own salt water pool build...

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Aspento View Post
    Is your coping travertine as well? If so, are they suffering from the same problem? Our pool build will start in a month and we are planning to use travertine for our coping and some of the decking.
    No, the coping is concrete with no issues.

18. Back To Top    #18

I was hoping to find an outside/3rd party expert to come out and look it over. I just need to know what my options are. There is some pavers that are tight, but others with a 1/4" spacing between them with similar issues, so I struggle with it being an installation issue only. I am going to start calling around Utah to see, but I would be willing to fly someone out. The job was roughly $22k because of the amount (see pic of pool area), so spending $1k for an expert to be used in court will be worth it (assuming worse case). Luckily, all my legal fees will be covered due to some close friends in the legal field.

Sorry pic is from security camera system, so quality ain;t great.

19. Back To Top    #19

I have travertine pavers and coping with my saltwater pool and mine look as good as the day they were installed. Do you know what country the travertine originated from? I know that their are many grades of travertine. I would be upset if mine looked like that. Good luck.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

20. Back To Top    #20

Paver Nightmare

How were the pavers grouted together? Did the landscaper use the traditional sand and shake method (rare) or did they use epoxy sand to fill the joints?

Who did the installation? Pool builder, a subcontractor that the PB used or an independent 3rd party like a landscaper?

Do you know where the stone came from? Do you have a bill of materials? Was it a local supplier?

Have you spoken with your homeowners insurance company to see if this is something they will cover?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast