Mec-O-Matic

Sep 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been looking through this section and keep finding stenner pumps mentioned, but I have no experience with them. I use mec-o-matic peristaltic pumps for the three commercial pools I take care of and have never had any problems with them. I was hoping someone could explain why stenner pumps seem to be preferred.

Thanks,

PC

Mec-O-Matic is part of the Pulsa-feeder family. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. They're not as widely available as stenner is and they tend to be a little more expensive. The only problem I personally have with them is the lack of available information on them. However, if you have a good resource for parts and service, there's nothing wrong with them.

We welcome anyone with information about other choices because we all benefit from that.

Thank you all for filling me in. I have used mec-o-matic pumps for many years on a commercial level because they are what my supplier stocked. At work I manage 3 commercial pools, each with its own chemical controller that in turn manages a mec-o-matic for chlorine feed and separate one for acid feed. I have never depended on its metering ability to be accurate for anything other than overfeed protection. In other words even though they are externally controlled, they are usually set lower than 10 as a secondary layer overfeed protection.

I used to install the 97gpd dolphin units for chlorine feed and the 13gpd dolphin units for acid feed. I have since stopped installing the smaller models which allows me to move the pumps around if any fail; not a frequent occurrence, but my filter rooms do eat any exposed unprotected metal. I have found that some of the older pumps had dials that were not sealed particularly well, allowing them to corrode and become unusable (pump still worked fine, just the dial that controlled the pause cycle became useless).

I do agree with the statement about information on the pumps being more difficult to come by, as I have never seen anything more specific than poorly scanned version of the printed paperwork that comes in the box. However, in my brief searching I found the stenner pumps to be slightly more expensive, which is what prompted me to ask about them in the first place.

As I stated, I used to get mec-o-matics from the same company I use for all my other pool supplies, but have recently been getting them from USABlueBook at a much better price.

Long story short, I started this thread to eventually ask for opinions on using a small med-o-matic pump with a double wall tank and a flow switch (to prevent the pump from running if the pool also wasn't running -- the pentair intelliflo can have power and also not be running) short part list url below.

13gpd mec-o-matic
15 gallon double wall chlorine tank
mcdonnel-miller fs254 flow switch

Thanks in advance,

PC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.