Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mec-O-Matic

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Mec-O-Matic

I have been looking through this section and keep finding stenner pumps mentioned, but I have no experience with them. I use mec-o-matic peristaltic pumps for the three commercial pools I take care of and have never had any problems with them. I was hoping someone could explain why stenner pumps seem to be preferred.

Thanks,

PC
    13,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 12'x24' vinyl liner pool with 2 inch plumbing (all home runs)
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump; Pentair Triton II TR60; Hot Spot Energy FPH3 Heat Recovery

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Mec-O-Matic

There is no preference for stenner pumps.....they are readily available and have a large market share.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I never heard of this brand until this thread! I had to google it. I don't think it's a bias, I think it's just unfamiliarity. But now that you're here to add to the body of knowledge, things might change.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mec-O-Matic is part of the Pulsa-feeder family. There's nothing inherently wrong with them. They're not as widely available as stenner is and they tend to be a little more expensive. The only problem I personally have with them is the lack of available information on them. However, if you have a good resource for parts and service, there's nothing wrong with them.

We welcome anyone with information about other choices because we all benefit from that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum PC
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for filling me in. I have used mec-o-matic pumps for many years on a commercial level because they are what my supplier stocked. At work I manage 3 commercial pools, each with its own chemical controller that in turn manages a mec-o-matic for chlorine feed and separate one for acid feed. I have never depended on its metering ability to be accurate for anything other than overfeed protection. In other words even though they are externally controlled, they are usually set lower than 10 as a secondary layer overfeed protection.

I used to install the 97gpd dolphin units for chlorine feed and the 13gpd dolphin units for acid feed. I have since stopped installing the smaller models which allows me to move the pumps around if any fail; not a frequent occurrence, but my filter rooms do eat any exposed unprotected metal. I have found that some of the older pumps had dials that were not sealed particularly well, allowing them to corrode and become unusable (pump still worked fine, just the dial that controlled the pause cycle became useless).

I do agree with the statement about information on the pumps being more difficult to come by, as I have never seen anything more specific than poorly scanned version of the printed paperwork that comes in the box. However, in my brief searching I found the stenner pumps to be slightly more expensive, which is what prompted me to ask about them in the first place.

As I stated, I used to get mec-o-matics from the same company I use for all my other pool supplies, but have recently been getting them from USABlueBook at a much better price.

Long story short, I started this thread to eventually ask for opinions on using a small med-o-matic pump with a double wall tank and a flow switch (to prevent the pump from running if the pool also wasn't running -- the pentair intelliflo can have power and also not be running) short part list url below.

13gpd mec-o-matic
    15 gallon double wall chlorine tank
    mcdonnel-miller fs254 flow switch

Thanks in advance,

PC
    13,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 12'x24' vinyl liner pool with 2 inch plumbing (all home runs)
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump; Pentair Triton II TR60; Hot Spot Energy FPH3 Heat Recovery

7. Back To Top    #7

All those parts should work well together.
    I would look at other flow switches though. You can get a stainless steel unit from Dwyer for about $70. While brass should work fine, I'd prefer stainless.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit