Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water flow slower - where should I start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water flow slower - where should I start?

Hi all,

The water from my return is coming out noticeably slower this year than previous years. Not sure where I should start to try to diagnose and fix the issue.

A few more clues: When I backflush the filter, the flow there is slower as well (so I presume it probably isn't my return line). I am getting a few occasional air bubbles coming up from the return stream. The pump seems and sounds to be running fine.

Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance!
    Rob
    24-ft round Radiant AG, fully in the ground, 14,500 gal
    Sand filter, 1.5 HP pump, vinyl liner
    9 months of winter, 3 months of tough skating!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water flow slower - where should I start?

Bubbles in pump basket would indicate a suction side leak. Could be a clog in the impeller reducing flow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd start by checking that all the valves are positioned correctly and that all the winterizing plugs are removed. And then I'd start looking for an air leak. By the way, what is the pressure compared to previous years?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Also check and lubricate the pump gaskets on the plugs and the basket seal with silicone or teflon lubricant, don't use petroleum jelly as it makes the seals expand.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll pull the filter and check it for clogs and gasket issues. Then look into how to find air leaks. Bubbles are very minimal, FYI, and the pad is dry around the pump and filter.

FYI the pressure on the filter gauge does seem rather low compared to last year. However, that info is closed by the fact that for some reason my gauge, which was new last year and removed for winter, now has a zero-pressure (uninstalled) reading of 30 psi. I presumed I only cared about the pressure delta between a clean and dirty filter, and that the gauge was still operating ok for that purpose, but maybe I should go get another gauge.

6. Back To Top    #6

This might sound simple, but check the skimmer. Mine sometimes gets stuck in the up position, letting in air, and decreasing presume.

7. Back To Top    #7

You need a new gauge. Get a better liquid filled one like the ones tftestkits now sells.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks again, everybody. Brief update: the problem was a clogged impeller. Easy enough to clear up. Hardest part was unhooking the hoses and hooking them back up. 2 screws, remove the basket, and boom a big wad of leaf debris. And now flow is WAY improved. Yay! Also the off-vs.-on pressure delta is what it has been in previous years, so that's a good sign - though I'll look into that new gauge too! I also cleaned and lubed the gaskets while I was at it.

One more question: I only cleaned the "front" side of the impeller and didn't remove the larger circular housing around it (because I was late for work and it didn't come right off easily when I removed the eight screws). I haven't researched either the manual or the pool school to see if I should check that area for debris too. Should I?

Funny how exciting it can be to just get things back to normal!
    24-ft round Radiant AG, fully in the ground, 14,500 gal
    Sand filter, 1.5 HP pump, vinyl liner
    9 months of winter, 3 months of tough skating!