Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fresh fill hot tub question

1. Back To Top    #1

Fresh fill hot tub question

I have a question regarding the sticky from Nitro discussing adjusting the water balance (lowering TA to a goal of 50) with acid until the PH doesn't rise beyond 7.6 with aeration.

I fresh filled my tub today -
    TC 0 FC 0 CC 0
    CH 220
    TA I got 210 with TF100 kit (pool store got 169 - high regardless)

My question - I've gotten the TA down to 100 with Ph Decreaser (acid?) but pH keeps rising for 7.8-8 within 30-45m or aeration. My goal I think is more like 70 (to get the CSI as close to 0 as I can). I need to stop for the evening.. The one thing I wasn't clear about - do I have to wait to get the TA to 70 and pH to 7.6 stable before I can add any chlorine? Again this is a fresh fill. I would be using Dichlor for chorine for a while then switching to Bleach after CYA gets to somewhere b/w 30ish...

sorry if this is a simple question - I'm just trying to make sure I get this right.

Thanks
    Michelle
    POOL: 25000K, IG Vinyl, Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS pump (installed 5/2017); FNS 60 DE Fliter (?flow rate 120gpm, no idea); Zodiac Nature 2 Fusion Soft SWG (mineral cartridge removed); Dolphin DX4 cleaning Robot
    SPA: 435 gallon Master Spa CS 862, Sanitizer Bromine (Floater)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fresh fill hot tub question

No need to wait on chlorine. TA is a secondary issue, something you normally work on after most everything else is taken care of.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Fresh fill hot tub question

Great! That makes more sense. I figured I was reading that wrong.
    POOL: 25000K, IG Vinyl, Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS pump (installed 5/2017); FNS 60 DE Fliter (?flow rate 120gpm, no idea); Zodiac Nature 2 Fusion Soft SWG (mineral cartridge removed); Dolphin DX4 cleaning Robot
    SPA: 435 gallon Master Spa CS 862, Sanitizer Bromine (Floater)