Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My neighbors foreclosed pool

1. Back To Top    #1

My neighbors foreclosed pool

Thought I'd share this with you all! My neighbors house got foreclosed before winter last year, pool was neither winterized nor covered. Here it is present day.

Check those vines out

Half tempted to swish around some bleach in there! The frogs that were peaceful at first are now an all night annoyance...
    Will keep ya updated

18k gal. 16x32 IG cement painted
    Hayward DE EC-65

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My neighbors foreclosed pool

Looks like a mosquito breeding ground!

IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

3. Back To Top    #3

When I moved to California and looked at several foreclosed properties I was surprised to find little fish in the abandoned pools. Apparently the "Mosquitofish" are distributed by the municipalities to keep mosquito populations down.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

PLEASE jump the fence and get that thing clean. This could be the poster pool for TFP and how wonderful it is.
    Can't we all chip in on bleach?! It would be so fun to watch!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

put a few fish in there to eat the mosquitos. Thats what the folks in Thailand did. Look how THAT turned out.
    http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/07/0...ll-in-bangkok/
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow the fish idea is brilliant. This is in Michigan and we had the most brutal winter ever surely the lines are cracked? I mean we were shoveling snow off our roofs this year.
    I hear ya on the bleach fund!! Haha

Hayward DE EC-65

8. Back To Top    #8

My neighbors foreclosed pool

Wow! What a mess. And I feel bad for you as I would be ticked off living near that cesspool

If it were me, not only would I call the bank that owns that property but the county as well and complain about the health hazard. I would have a lawyer draft and notarize a letter saying that if I or my family contract any mosquito born illness, there will be a lawsuit filed and a lien placed on the property for personal injury.

I'd be surprised if the bank replied but usually notarized letters threatening lawsuits and liens will get some attention.

Oh and when your new neighbor moves in, tell him about TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyOptimism View Post
    If it were me, not only would I call the bank that owns that property but the county as well and complain about the health hazard. I would have a lawyer draft and notarize a letter saying that if I or my family contract any mosquito born illness, there will be a lawsuit filed and a lien placed on the property for personal injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not to play Devil's Advocate, but good luck proving a mosquito bite illness was caused by a mosquito from that pool location, specifically.

It's unfortunate, in this day, that lawsuits are a suggested measure at any/every juncture
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

10. Back To Top    #10

Around here, the County Vector Control would be all over that pool since it could be a breeding ground for mosquitos. My father-in-law has an empty pool in the back yard, and someone pays a visit after every rain storm to ensure he pumped out the standing water.

I'd make a call or send an email to these folks: http://www.miottawa.org/health/ochd/WNV.htm

They might send someone out to drop those mosquito dunks or the fish into that pool. Or maybe lean on the bank to do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogz400 View Post
    Not to play Devil's Advocate, but good luck proving a mosquito bite illness was caused by a mosquito from that pool location, specifically.

It's unfortunate, in this day, that lawsuits are a suggested measure at any/every juncture
    Yeah, I know. But the threat of lawsuit is the "stick" in this scenario. A bank trying to offload a foreclosed property doesn't need the extra hassle of someone potentially filing a lien against the deed.

As well, it's entirely likely that the bank has no clue there's a pool there and so it's in their best interest to clean it up.

Could you imagine the poor schlep real estate agent stuck with trying to sell that house on a short sale?? Good grief.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'd toss some pucks into it... LOL
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

13. Back To Top    #13

Chuck a few of these over the fence and into the pool.

http://www.amazon.com/Summit-111-5-2...mosquito+dunks
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

^^ Lol!
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

16. Back To Top    #16

Are those vines creeping into the pool from the fence or are they growing out of the pool to the fence.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Richard320 wins the Photoshop prize!!!

I bow down before your awesomeness,sir!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Buy a container of "Mosquito Dunks" from Lowes, HomeDepot or Wal-Mart they work great.
    21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    Are those vines creeping into the pool from the fence or are they growing out of the pool to the fence.
    They're growing from the fence, into the pool.

In my area, there is a pool that the town required to be cleaned:

That pool was black for years. It looks like they renovated most of the house, also. My neighbors' pools are clean (I've checked, on Google Earth).
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

20. Back To Top    #20

The swamp thing is beyond hilarious! I will be sure to save that for a number of reasons... Lol! The mosquito things sound like a good idea, it's been cooler then usual so the Mosquitos aren't really that bad yet!
    Last time I checked google earth took pics while our pools were closed so no deal on that one for me! Cool how you got all 3 stages of overhead pics

Hayward DE EC-65