Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinating

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinating

Got my CYA at about 50 and don't want to raise it any more. Want to stop using tablets. If I use liquid chlorine, do I have to add it by hand every day or so? Is there an auto chlorinator that will do it as needed?
    Built 3/14, 12.5K, .75 HP Stealth pump (2) 1 filter 1 popup clean sys, IG plaster, Jandy DE48 filter, Paramount O3 Ozinator, Nature2 purifier, 400K nat gas heat, pool master 5-way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinating

Yes, manually. Or do a search for liquidator or stenner pump.

After a couple weeks of regular testing and dosing, you'll know your pool's personality and appetite, and will be able to guess your test results with amazing accuracy before you run the tests. It can get down to a couple minutes a day, if that, to dose the pool manually.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much, like the dentist analogy.
    Built 3/14, 12.5K, .75 HP Stealth pump (2) 1 filter 1 popup clean sys, IG plaster, Jandy DE48 filter, Paramount O3 Ozinator, Nature2 purifier, 400K nat gas heat, pool master 5-way.

4. Back To Top    #4

I cant be home everyday so what I do is get the chlorine above the max from the calculator, which mine is a 10.
    In the middle of summer like it is, I loose about 2-2.5 a day.
    So I can go from not adding chlorine for 2 days and still be fine.
    I usually add every other day.

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt water chlorine generator !
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, SWG! Salt is the way to go. Makes it's own chlorine. Read up on it. There's also a SWG forum here. I converted and highly recommend it.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool