Vinyl - Can I remove my drain?

Jun 25, 2013
Memphis, TN
Can I remove my drain cover so that I can attach a small section of 4x1.5" pipe so that my cleaner doesn't get stuck on top of the drain? I am not too familiar with the custruction of a vinyl pool to know if by removing that drain I will loose the seal between the liner and the pipe and thus begin to leak water.

I don't have a main drain but it is my guess you could be creating a problem by removing the cover.

I would find another way to solve your issue but it would not include removing the cover, I don't think.

On my pool to remove the drain cover or "dome" you would also be removing the O-ring seal. Not gonna work if it's like all the others I've seen. Are you sure it's not the drain suction causing the problem? Maybe try closing the valve off a little more? Good luck.

Thank you every one. I have already closed the valve all the way simply to get enough suction to run the cleaner. I reckon I'll do it the old fashion way... Fins and googles and zip ties

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

So I removed my drain and afixed two pieces of pipe
va7y3a7e.jpg
only two screws retain the drain cover. Initially I had just the single piece of PVC attached as shown. The cleaner still climbed up on top of it. Thus the use of the second vertical.

I think I like the idea of using a 4" cap cut down. I may have to be on the look out.

This is what the pool looks like with the drain removed
y8uqudu3.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.