Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl - Can I remove my drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl - Can I remove my drain?

Can I remove my drain cover so that I can attach a small section of 4x1.5" pipe so that my cleaner doesn't get stuck on top of the drain? I am not too familiar with the custruction of a vinyl pool to know if by removing that drain I will loose the seal between the liner and the pipe and thus begin to leak water.
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.
    Pool Math #__# Pool School #__# Best Android App "Pool Pal" Track Your Levels!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Vinyl - Can I remove my drain?

I don't have a main drain but it is my guess you could be creating a problem by removing the cover.

I would find another way to solve your issue but it would not include removing the cover, I don't think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On my pool to remove the drain cover or "dome" you would also be removing the O-ring seal. Not gonna work if it's like all the others I've seen. Are you sure it's not the drain suction causing the problem? Maybe try closing the valve off a little more? Good luck.
    16 x 36 inground vinyl w/ covered steps. 9 1/2 ft deep end w/ diving board. 27,000 gal.
    PacFab Challenger 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump, Pureflo 300 lb sand filter, Pentair chlorine feeder
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 return lines and NO LEAKS "knock on wood" LOL.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with the others. You dont want to remove that. The chances are high you will end up with a leak.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you every one. I have already closed the valve all the way simply to get enough suction to run the cleaner. I reckon I'll do it the old fashion way... Fins and googles and zip ties

26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.

6. Back To Top    #6

Your drain cover is designed to avoid entrapment, so don't change it. A Unibridge will keep the cleaner from getting stuck.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

So I removed my drain and afixed two pieces of pipe only two screws retain the drain cover. Initially I had just the single piece of PVC attached as shown. The cleaner still climbed up on top of it. Thus the use of the second vertical.

I think I like the idea of using a 4" cap cut down. I may have to be on the look out.

This is what the pool looks like with the drain removed