CYA has dropped off the scale

pharpe

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
The last time I checked my CYA levels was in March/April and it was at 50 and had been steady for the prior couple months. I checked it today and I can still barley see the dot with the cylinder completely full. I did 3 tests to be sure. I have only added a couple inches of water(plus rain) since the last test. I'm not sure where it went. I did do an AA treatment in May. I saw a thread saying that may lower CYA but it wasn't very conclusive. Could it be bad test chemicals? My CYA chemical is about 5 months old and has been stored indoors.

Temp 84
FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 310
CYA <30

Pool is using about 110 oz of 8.25 bleach a day to hold around 5-6 FC. We have a lot of trees so the pool does not get a lot of direct sun. Should this low CYA be a concern? If the test chemicals are bad I don't want screw up and put too much CYA in because I know how big a pain it is to get out. I had to do a 60% water change when we bought the house due to high CYA.

I have a bunch of pucks from the previous owner. I was thinking of throwing one of those in to see if I can get it back up on the scale at least. Thoughts?

Being in TX. I bet the pool is 80 degrees or above right?
I bet that is the reason for the loss, which is only about 3 PPM per day.
Do a test overnight for chlorine loss just to make sure.
I use a gallon of 12.5% every other day.
That works out to 2.5-3 ppm loss per day for my pool.
I did an overnight test with minimal loss of chlorine so nothing growing I don’t want.

I keep the CYA about 60-70 range and it seems to help with the loss.
Last year when I first moved into the house the CYA was above 100.
I was using a 121 Oz of 8.25% everyday when the pool was over 80 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.