Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA in stabilized granules

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA in stabilized granules

Hi chums,

I would like to ask for some help from the chemical gurus on the forum.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a proper testing kit at the moment but I would love to be able to work out what CYA level I have at the. My pool is about 7,000 US Gallons and so far has only been given one kilo of stabilized chlorine granules (bought before I found the site and the BBB advice)

According to the label on the Stabilized chlorine granules bottle it states that it contains Troclosene Sodium, dihydrate. Sodium Dichloisocyanurate, dihydrate EC No. 220-767-7

You could post that info in Klingon and it would make more sense to my limited chemistry comprehension.

So, the Q is, Can anybody help me work out how much potential CYA I have in my pool if I have added one kilo of the above?

I appreciate any assistance
    Intex 16'x48" AGP 5,000 (uk) gallons
    Intex 635 pump
    Bio Diesel filter bags
    4 solar radiators and a solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA in stabilized granules

One kilogram (2.2 pounds) of Dichlor (dihydrate) in 7000 gallons will raise the FC by about 21 ppm and the CYA by 19 ppm. In general, for every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm. You can look at The Pool Calculator to get some of this same information.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Does th CYA in DiChlor dissolve faster than granular CYA?
    40,000 gal pool, Goldline SWG, 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, plaster w/epoxy paint.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by billybrobob
    Does th CYA in DiChlor dissolve faster than granular CYA?
    Yes, dichlor dissolves reasonably quickly and the CYA becomes active immediately. You should see the final CYA level within an hour of adding dichlor.

Dichlor isn't usually the ideal way to add CYA because you don't always want the FC and it is very acidic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Guys,

I am very grateful for your replies and the 10:9 ppm ratio is really helpful - thanks to you all.
    Intex 16'x48" AGP 5,000 (uk) gallons
    Intex 635 pump
    Bio Diesel filter bags
    4 solar radiators and a solar cover