Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where am I?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where am I?

Question, did I do a partial slam? And should I continue?
    Here is the setting.
    This morning at 7:30 I performed all tests allowed by the T100. My Results:
    Cl@0.5, Br@1.0, pH@7.8, FC@0.5, CC@0.5, TC@1.0, CH@725, TA@280, CYA@85
    I did the pool math and followed the recommendation of adding 4 gal (8.25) bleach.
    While viewing the pool, with my new polarized sunglasses, I detected and incredible amount of "Gray Dust" all over the entire, underwater surface and the inside of the ladder.
    I performed a thorough vacuum to waste, while adding water to keep from losing suction. Upon completion I added my remaining 1/2 Gal of bleach. I back washed and rinsed the DE filter and added approx 100oz (3, 32oz Kwikshop cups). I saw no rise in pressure from 19psi on tank. Why not? Do I need more DE?
    I took a break and went to Sam's for more bleach, which I have not added any. I am currently filling the pool up to approximately 2/3 level on the skimmer inlet.
    My current results as of 4:30pm are:
    Cl@5.0, Br@10, pH@7.8, FC@11.5, CC@1.0, TC@12.5, CH@625, TA@260, CYA@57
    Pool math wants MA to lower the pH and to continue to "waste" water.
    My thoughts. Should I go ahead, raise the FC to the recommended 24, vacuum to waste again tomorrow, spend every evening this week continuing to clean?
    The big variable is, I start National. Guard Annual Training next week. I will initially be out of town for 3 days, then spend approximately 12+ hours/day working a mixture of days and nights.
    I'm looking for a conservative way to keep the pool going during the time I won't be able to commit extra time. My wife may do some, but with two smalls, studying for her FAA ATP exam and working on her Masters, additional pool maintenance is more than I can ask, but they will probably use the pool.
    Mark A. Shaw
    40K, IG, Vinyl, DE, Purex Triton Challenger 1 hp 75 gpm, PT Nautilus FNS 60, Polaris PB4-60, w/P360, Test Kit: TF-100 & Aqua Chek strips, Blue elec. pool cover, 16.5 gal Kegerator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where am I?

Add on. Could I be blowing the DE into the pool? I have, just noticed a new, fine, white/gray sediment on the pool bottom. Or is it possible some of the left over debris stored up during the vacuuming?
    Mark A. Shaw
    40K, IG, Vinyl, DE, Purex Triton Challenger 1 hp 75 gpm, PT Nautilus FNS 60, Polaris PB4-60, w/P360, Test Kit: TF-100 & Aqua Chek strips, Blue elec. pool cover, 16.5 gal Kegerator

3. Back To Top    #3

Your pH reading is invalid when FC is above 10. That's why we suggest adjusting pH first, and then doing the SLAM, since it won't be possible to read it.

If you intend to drain more to lower the CYA, then don't waste a lot of bleach taking it to SLAM levels. Just maintain the appropriate FC for the CYA. That will hold things at bay until you're done replacing water. Then adjust pH (Remember FC below 10 for that test) and then hit it with bleach. If the water is already clear and not green, you should be through the SLAM well before your drill weekend.

As an aside, if you're doing the FC & CC tests using the powder, you don't need to do the CL-BR test. It's not as accurate and its redundant anyway. And you don't use Bromine, so the BR number is meaningless anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I rechecked pressure, it's up to 21, so I'm not concerned about filter.
    From my very limited experience with pools, and some quick reading, FC is lowed by exposure or chemicals I don't have.
    I have bleach, MA, 20 mule team, baking soda, algaecide, powdered shock and the 3" tabs.
    So, if I understand correctly, let the pool sit over night and probably tomorrow so the sun can cook off the chlorine and don't worry about pH until FC is below 10 preferably 7 according to the FC/CYA chart???
    Mark A. Shaw

5. Back To Top    #5

As soon as FC is below 10 you can test pH and TA and adjust the pH.

If you plan to drain more water, don't add any bleach. It will just end up wasted going out the drain.

If you don't plan to drain any more water, adjust pH, wait 30 minutes, and raise FC to 24 and start brushing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I'll run the MA numbers on the pool calculator to lower pH. Then the numbers to raise FC. Then I'll get to brushing.
    Thanks
    Mark A. Shaw

7. Back To Top    #7

I come up with 3 qts MA and 6 gal bleach. I'll recheck the bleach after pH is 7.2 - 7.5
    Mark A. Shaw

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Safe Free Chlorine Levels for swimming?

Based upon this recommendation, I can jump in and check for algae behind my light. I am slamming with 24FC and CyA57 and etoh 0.04??? Are these figures appropriate?
    Mark A. Shaw

9. Back To Top    #9

I passed the overnight test last night and the water is clearing, just can't get CC below 1.0. I cleaned the area behind the light and all other hidden surfaces. Pump is running continuous. Do I need to keep slamming? Is there a point when it just doesn't happen?
    FC was just checked at 26, a little high, but I'm sure it'll cook of tomorrow and cya is @40.
    There is still some dust on the pool bottom, which I have stirred frequently while cleaning, in an effort to work it thru the filtration system. If it isn't gone by the time I get things stabilized, I'll let the polaris pick it up. I'm hesitant to put it in with high chlorine values.
    I'm sure you see this question all the time, sorry if I'm just not catching the basics.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mark A. Shaw

10. Back To Top    #10

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Since your CC hasn't dropped below 1, you need to continue SLAM.
    Our experience shows that following the SLAM process to the end will clear up pools provided all hidden algae (behind lamps, under/around ladders) is brushed out.
    The CYA buffers the FC and reduces how harsh the FC actually is.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have read thru several posts and pool school, I can't locate any info on closing the SLAM.
    I have cleaned every accessable surface. I anticipate completing the SLAM tomorrow morning. FC is currently at 21.5 (adding recommended 1gal3c bleach) to return to 24, CC is .5 or less, and pH holding at 7.5. CYA was 40 this morning. I'll perform the overnight FCLT tonight to verify, but it was OK yesterday.
    Is it OK to trust pH at this high FC? I don't think so but just asking.
    What do I do at the conclussion of the SLAM? I'm thinking just monitor all of my values, while keeping everything with in goal, with the goal of 5-7 FC, less than 0.5 CC, CYA40-50, and pH 7.5.
    Does the chlorine just deplete from sun and once there I maintain my goals.
    If there is a previous thread, please refer me. I'm trying to prepare my wife to take over some of the upkeep while I do my 2 weeks of Guard training. Fortunately I'll be close.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark A. Shaw

12. Back To Top    #12

pH will read inaccurate above an FC of 10. Everything else you said is correct.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. Everyone here has been of great help. I'm starting to get this pool stuff.
    Mark
    Mark A. Shaw

14. Back To Top    #14

Haha what's the etoh 0.04 coors light?
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Good morning. Time to give my testimony. It all worked. The pool stabilized and looks sparkling, crystal clear. Aside from a high hardness, all values have balanced and I'm on a daily routine to check and adjust as necessary.
    This was all made possible by the great help received here.
    Btw, mostly Blue Moon.
    Mark A. Shaw