E-therm 400 "service heater" light on

serge

Nov 2, 2009
Katy, TX
Every Sunday, I run all my non-essential pumps and the heater (spa only) for about 30 minutes, just to make sure they work properly and as a means to avoid critters nesting where they don't need to. Eventhough the heater li up and warmed the spa to the temperature set, i did note the "service heater" light turn on, and then off. The unit fires up and holds for about a munute or so, service light goes on, units stops, service light goes off, and then it starts again. Before i start dissassembling the unit, has anybody had thecsame symptoms as mine? If so, how did you fix it.

Thanks...the heater seems to warm the water (i had at 95, then increased to 98)...it just starts, works for a minute or so, stops (light on), light clears and starts again..I will check for corrosion and see if there is a code when the "service heater" light comes on..thanks for your reply

Ok..I was able to see the HLS code in the panel...according to the troubleshooting diagram, it is either insufficient water flow, the high limit switch or the automatic gas shutoff. It says to "verify proper operation of internal bypass Valve, and Thermal Governor and check for Heat Exchanger blockage"...How do I verify this? I am tempted to buy the HLS and AGS parts and see if that corrects the problem, but there may be an easier way to pinpoint the problem..your help is much appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.