Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to SLAM pool w/SWG but CYA is <30. Should I raise my CYA first?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to SLAM pool w/SWG but CYA is <30. Should I raise my CYA first?

Have been away on vacation for a few weeks. Came back to a pool just starting to turn green. My FC is 0, CYA is <30 (low as my kit goes). Wondering if I need to raise my CYA before shocking with bleach, or if I can adjust after?

Asking, as this chart doesn't list levels for CYA below 60

Levels:
    0 FC
    7.0 pH
    170 tA
    <30 CYA

(SWG, 35k gal)
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite, Compool Lx3600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to SLAM pool w/SWG but CYA is <30. Should I raise my CYA first?

If you're shocking with bleach, you use the chart for a bleach pool.

Once it's all clear and done, then you can jack the CYA level up for your SWG. Low CYA is probably what caused the problem in the first place; the sun got to the chlorine before it could get to the algae, and the SWG couldn't keep up with the demand.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need to SLAM pool w/SWG but CYA is <30. Should I raise my CYA first?

Ah, I was just looking at the SWG chart. If I use the lower CYA levels from the non-swg chart, looks like I should shoot for 10-12 FC for a shock level.

Agree that my low CYA was likely the cause.
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite, Compool Lx3600