Ben Lomond, CA
Hello,

Here are my pool water readings:
FC = 8
Ph = 7.2
TA = 40
CH = 480
CY = 50

From the attachment you'll see that TA keeps going down and CH keeps increasing. What should I do?

Thanks,
Swami

Attachments

• POOL GRAPH 7-6-14.jpg
    POOL GRAPH 7-6-14.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 59
OK. It's good to test your PH and TC daily but you don't need to test the TA/CH, you can get away doing it bi-weekly. The daily dose of MA is driving the TA down. What is you CSI index? At a quick look you're below -.6, your CH may be coming from the plaster.
Let your PH climb, you can keep it at 7.8, the range is 7.5 to 7.8. (These are recommendations.)
Looks like your keeping you PH too low. What's the reasoning there?
keep adding the daily chlorine, but stop the MA (wait till it gets above 7.8 or higher)

I don't worry about the CH, (mine is currently 475) and use it to balance out the CSI value. I like to run a slightly negative CSI value. It seems to minimize scale in my SWCG.

Sorry I'm kinda getting into advanced chemical balance stuff that you don't need to worry about.

How is the water looking?
Have you read pool school? There are great articles such as:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/131-basic-pool-care-schedule

Back to your original question
From the attachment you'll see that TA keeps going down and CH keeps increasing. What should I do?
Keep adding daily dose of chlorine, but stop the daily dose of MA and let the PH climb to 7.8 and don't let it go below 7.5.

Last edited:
The suggested range for all your parameters are found in Pool School.

What does your water look like?

What is the CH of your fill water?

For someone starting out, I would suggest you ignore csi and focus on the essential items that we test....

FC

pH

CC

TA

CH

CYA

Keeping those items in the correct ranges makes csi irrelevant.

The water looks clean and clear.
I have read things from the Pool School. And for the last 9 months I have been testing for:
FC and PH daily.
TA, CH, and CY once a week.

I will reread and study the articles you have suggested.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I am starting out. I joined the TFP site 9 months ago and have been following the suggestions in the Pool School. But, did not know what to do with the TA going down and CH increasing continuously. Thanks for your help.

To adjust CH the Calculator suggests to replace 19% of the pool water. I know this is the solution. However, where I am Ben Lomond California we have a drought and water is restricted. Is there another way to solve the problem?

No need to change your water, if it's only your CH that is high. Your water looks good, you're maintaining a good FC level. You can probably get away with testing your TA, CH, and CYA to bi-weekly or monthly.
As long as your water is looking good, and you don't have any scaling forming around the water line I wouldn't worry about the CH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.