Replacing single speed pump with ?

Petie

Apr 21, 2013
Info first
In ground, vinyl, 18x38 diving so ~25000 gal, 1 1/2" pipe in and out, no extra stuff - using robot cleaner.
Louisiana, 12 hrs per day summer 8 hrs winter, Emtergy but not sure of cost as so many surcharges with nuke plant, hurricane fees, etc.
Current pump is 1 1/2 HP Grainger Dayton but not sold any more.

As motor internal fan no longer works and keeps shutting down on thermal, I need to do something.
Considering a VS like the Pentair Intelliflo VS or maybe a 2 speed pump if more practical. I know the existing pump outputs more volume and pressure than my system can utilize so either can downsize or speed reduce to gain some energy savings. Any recommendations? Sure would be nice if it was reliable and not needing replacement every 2 years. :)

Thanks. Pete

Hello Petie,
A 2-speed might be the way to go, are you replacing the shaft seal every time? Getting only 2 years out of a motor isn't normal, unless you got other issues going on (lots of water/exposure). Do you know what the wet end of the pump is?
Are you able to post a picture of the pump?
Welcome to the forums.

My original pump was so corroded that it could not be taken apart for repairs. This pump there is no longer any parts info available for the seals and gaskets as it was discontinued - Grainger product.
Looking at a Pentair SuperFlo 2-speed pump. Great price through Amazon. I don't understand what "Unionized fittings (1-1/2-inch internal slip and 2-inch external slip)" actually means. What would I need to connect my male thread 1 1/2" PVC fittings to that? Is there a specific Pentair fitting required? As I understand it the pump does not ship with any connection fittings at all.
Thanks. Pete

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.