Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does salt change any of your chlorine or other chemical levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Does salt change any of your chlorine or other chemical levels

Quote Originally Posted by poolgirl22 View Post
    I recommend getting a test prior to adding because as Jason says people rarely have no salt at all.

Then put that result in the Now column of the pool calculator. I've read that the target should be around 2000ppm for the 'feel good' aspect, so put 2000pppm in the target. It will tell you how much to add. Make sure all your gallons, etc are entered properly.

My initial test was off (of course! pool store) I have a bit more than 2000 but it will go down over summer.

I just dumped the bags in while I was in the pool, walked around and stirred it up really well and that's it.

I can taste it, but it's not strong like gargling with salt water or when you are in the ocean. And, the water has a clarity and shimmer that is definitely different.
    Question does/or did it change any of your chlorine/or and other chemical levels ? Should I watch and test for anything after adding salt other than salt
    20x52 (9400gal) intex ag pool
    Sand filter, surface skimmer
    Built 5-30-14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added salt to my non SWG pool

Quote Originally Posted by Rflowers View Post
    Question does/or did it change any of your chlorine/or and other chemical levels ? Should I watch and test for anything after adding salt other than salt
    Adding salt does not change the target levels of chlorine or anything else, nor does it affect the usage of chlorine or anything else. You do need to continue your regular testing.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Added salt to my non SWG pool

Thanks sarge for the reply gonna get a salt test kit before adding and will keep my normal test routine in effect!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Does salt change any of your chlorine or other chemical levels

The salt test strips are pretty good.
    http://tftestkits.net/Salt-Test-Stri...-Chek-p28.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Does salt change any of your chlorine or other chemical levels

My test kit works wonderful and it is spot on with what my cell indicator says.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997