Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to site- Bucket Test for Chlorine Demand and 0 CYA- Am I on the right track?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to site- Bucket Test for Chlorine Demand and 0 CYA- Am I on the right track?

Hey all,
    I have a gunite/plaster 22,500 gallon salt water pool. I recently was hit with a big issue: Chlorine demand and 0 CYA.

Here is my test kit (Taylor) Baseline Post bucket test before Tx:
    FC: 0
    TC: 0
    CYA: 0
    pH: 7.5
    CH: 160
    TA: 220
    Salt (reading from SWG): 3000

I treated immediately w/ Bleach and Stabilizer. FC remained stable for 36hr at 2-3.

Here are my current readings:
    FC: 2
    TC: 3
    CC: 1
    CYA: 30 (rising slowly over last 36 hr)
    Ph: 7.8
    TA: 110
    CH: 170
    Salt: 3000 (questioning if SWG is functioning)

Issue: am I on the right track? Pool is still green and cloudy but much clearer than when I started.

We backwashed and I used the Pool Math (love it!) to add 4 more jugs of 6% chlorine and 4lb stabilizer. I am adding one bag of salt due to base reading of 2600. Do I treat the CH? Pool math indicates about 16 pounds based on formulas.

I feel like we are gaining and I do not want to lose momentum.
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to site- Bucket Test for Chlorine Demand and 0 CYA- Am I on the right track?

Hello and Welcome!

To fix your problem you will need to SLAM your pool. To do that you will need to accurately test your pool water. How did you get your posted test results and what type of pool test kit do you have? Have you started reading in Pool School?

Have you read this thread Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis?
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir