Brother-in-law numbers way off

Jun 18, 2012
Mascoutah, IL
I've been lurking for about two years but never needed to post. Got enough information from reading the forum and the web site to successfully manage our pool.

I think I have convinced my brother-in-law to go the TFP way and use bleach. He has been using "shock"/tabs as his sole CL source. Right now he has visible algae (I have not seen the pool recently) so I don't know how bad it is.

He brought me a pool water sample and I tested it:
His pool is 28 ft round vinyl (18400 gallons)
CL: 0 CC: 0
Ph: tested yellow, well under 6.8
TA: 0 added the 5 drops of R-0008 and it went red immediately. Did not add R-0009.
CH: above 350 but an issue with the test. Cylinder had a visible suspension of particles in it. I thought the chemicals may be bad (two years old on them) so I tested my pool water and no suspensions with my water. He may be on well water but I haven't had a chance to ask him.
CYA: around 35

I guess our first step is to slam and get rid of the algae.
What would you recommend after that is resolved? Ph and TA both need to raise. Start with the Ph and see what the TA does? As far as calcium, not sure there. After we kill the algae I think I need to look at his water and see if it is cloudy or not before doing anything about that. Those suspended particles during the testing have me confused.
Thanks,
Gary

Welcome to TFP!

You need to the pH first with borax once in the low 7s, then test and adjust the TA. Then follow the SLAM process.

The low CYA is puzzling though given the history.

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the reply.
I think I have the answer to the low CYA. Learned he was just using shock once a week. Cal-Hypo. Explains both the low CYA and the high calcium doesn't it? (and the algae :) Any clue on the CH test and the suspended particles? Would very high calcium case that in the test?
Gary

Try putting some R-0012 in the sample first and let that mix a minute, and then proceed with the rest of the CH test, not forgetting to count the drops you added. That has largely done away with the suspended red particles for me.

Get the TA and pH fixed first, because you won't be able to test them once the SLAM begins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.