PH issues

Jun 22, 2008
hi all,
my pool is almost 8 weeks old and everything seems to be going well, but it is a daily chore to keep my numbers on target.

I need some advice on stabilizing my ph levels. it seems to rise pretty fast.

for example, last night my ph was at 7.2' I added some LC to get my Chlor. levels up from 3 to 4 ( per the TFP cya/Chl level chart). This morn, my PH was around 8 so I added acid.

I know chlor. will boost PH, but my PH seems to constantly be on the rise and seems to be hypersensitive. anything I can do to buffer the ph?

here are my numbers as of this morn:

PH: 8
FC: 4-5
CC:0
TA: 80
CyA: 40

Also, i do have a spillover out of the jacuzzi that runs about 19 hours per day with the pump.

What should i do?

You have a new plaster pool, it is the nature of the beast! Just check the pH daily and add acid as needed. Your acid demand will slow down as the plaster cures. Make sure to keep extra acid on hand for the first year.
Some other suggestions that might or might not work (because of the new plaster):
Turning off your ozonator should help more than anything else. Lower your TA a bit more and possibly try adding borates to your water.

Also, you might want to consider using triclor until you CYA reaches around 50-60 ppm. The acidic nature of trichlor works very well with new plaster to help control pH rise.

OK, I figured it was the new plaster, I just cant imagine a day when it will stabilize, but I am sure it will. I stopped using the inline chlorine feeder because i did not want CYA to get out of hand, but I will raise my CYA a bit per your suggestion.

Regarding the Ozonator, I have not had to shock my pool once since the opening as CC levels have been at 0 always. I have to attribute that to the ozonator. I know the jury is still out on the value of ozonators (especially UV ones), but mine seems to be doing the job in terms of breaking up the chloramines. I am hesitant to turn it off for that reason.

Also, i am going away for a week next month. Do you have any advice on how to make sure i don't come back to a green pool with a PH of 25 (ha ha)?

1 thing I didn't see in your test #s is calcium? To keep the water balanced in a plaster pool, it's important to know the calcium hardness level, you can then plug your numbers into Jason's Pool Calculator (linked in my sig) and see what you need to change.

As Waterbear said the trichlor can help fight the pH rise and use of it for a few weeks (like when you're on vacation) will add to the cya (to help get you to the 50- 60 ppm he recommends ). :)

I hope you can gain control of the pH and that you have a great vacation. If there's a problem with the pool when you get back, we'll be here to help solve it! :goodjob:

I am suggesting the trichlor to help fight the pH rise from the new plaster and saying to stop when you hit 50-60 ppm CYA is because that is a workable CYA level in a pool. Higher becomes problematic.

Ok, calcium level is 420. Pool store guys said its high, but should not worry about it. Our tap water is pretty hard here to startm

What do u think as it relates to my swinging (and not in the 70's fun way) PH levels?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.