Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump not drawing liquid

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump not drawing liquid

Hello Everyone - I have a stenner pump that will not draw the liquid to pump. The liquid is in a 5 gal carboy and the pump is about 1 ft above that. I am using Teflon taped threaded connections to connect to the pump tube. I am using a #1 tube. The pump will draw liquid if I raise it above or close to the pump head. When I put the container back down I see a bubble appear on the liquid entrance side of the pump. The liquid is being pumped downstream from my filter so it is on the low pressure side. The threaded connections connecting to the pump tubing have 1/4" quick disconnects on the other side. I am using 1/4" OD polyethylene flexible tubing in the push quick disconnect fitting. What are your thoughts of this type of connection? Do they leak a little air? Is there a change that the pump is not totally self priming with the smallest tube in the pump head? This would also mean I cannot count on the dosing rate.

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump not drawing liquid

Make sure the fittings on the inlet side are inserted all the way, might have an air leak which would result in no prime condition.
    13,500 / AG / Vinyl / Hayward 150 sq ft Cartridge / 1HP 2 Speed / Born in 2009
    Intermatic Timer / Stenner 10GPD + Woods Timer / Former LQ (3/8 upgrade and SMC Valves) 2012

3. Back To Top    #3

Those pumps such a small volume that any air leak will prevent it from pumping. You shouldn't use anything on the fitting except the nut and ferrule that's designed for it. I would remove the tubing and clean off all the t-tape and remake the connections.

The nuts only need to be good hand tightened.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the replies. I bought the proper stenner connections/ I bought the pump used and it did not come with them and the new tubing I bought only had the sleeves that go over the tubing. I should have it in a few days.
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg