Chlorine tablets with SWG?

Feb 25, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Going on vacation for about ten days. Have had some issues with SWG recently. It seems to be working fine right now but am nervous about an issue arising while we are gone. Is it a bad idea to put a chlorine tablet in the skimmer before we leave as a precautionary measure? I have a friend that can come by once or twice to check on the levels but he doesn't have time to do much more. Thoughts?

My skimmer will eat a tri-chlor puck in about 16 hours of run-time. You say he will come by maybe twice in 10 days. I don't think that will help stop an outbreak in the event of a swg failure.

I'm guessing that a puck a day would raise you CYA level about 15ppm over the 10 days. I don't think you want that either.

If he can check the CL level twice, I would have enough CL jugs around to raise level to shock, in the event CL drops below normal. It sounds like you might need them when you get back anyhow.

I would say enjoy your vacation and if you come back to a green pool or empty CL jugs, you know you need to fix that swg.

With a CYA that high, you do not want to use pucks. Use bleach to bring you up to shock level. Keep your SWG running so that it will keep up with the daily chlorine demand. If the SWG fails some time during your vacation, you may still be okay (or maybe not if it fails right away). If it does not fail, you will be at shock level when you get back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.