Help, water level dropping fast!

Jul 1, 2014
Pendleton,IN
I have lost at least 1 inch in water level in the past 24 hours. I have only owned this pool for one season and have noticed that the water levels would drop more than normal evaporation. There appears to be a leak somewhere in the under ground plumbing. My pump and filter are set up inside my garage and there are no leaks around that set up. In the past 48 hours my water level in now below my skimmers. Are there any tests that I can do without calling the expensive pool places? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Without getting a pool professional involved (some have sounding equipment to "hear" the leak) is going to take normal troubleshooting skills.

Some thoughts:
If your plumbing has multiple runs (i.e. drains/skimmers/returns/waterfalls etc.) that can be separated via your plumbing/valves you can turn off sections for a day or two to see if you can isolate the leaking section.

Search your yard looking for wet areas. You may need to look under decks/shrubs and all hidden areas. If you have an idea of the location of the buried pipes you can probe the ground looking for wet areas.

If you can remember when you first noticed the water loss beginning, did you do any yard work in that time frame. Trees/bushes/posts or anything planted/dug into the ground may have nicked/cracked a water pipe causing a slow leak. Except with freezing and frost heave pipes don't generally start leaking on their own without outside "help".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.