I need to drain - but where?

Jen_TX

Jun 24, 2014
Austin, TX
I apologize in advance for the idiotic question. Here is my filter. It's a Pentair S7M120. I need to drain my pool to lower CYA. However, the valve that I thought was the one to use doesn't want to turn. Is this my drain valve? (In the lower front of the photo) It's labeled "Waste".
20140613_105317.jpg

On the side, there is another valve, to one direction it's labeled "skimmer", and to the other direction, "main drain".

20140613_105256.jpg

Thanks in advance... appreciate the help.

welp,
the pic is sort of small and my eyes are bad. But, I think I can see it well enough.

To drain,
Turn the valve in front of the pump to main drain.
Close the valve on the return line, the one by the chlorinator, start the pump and immdeiately open the valve at the bottom coming out of the filter.

If that vavle is stuck, its prolly got some gunk in it. Easy to fix. Just take out the 8 screws on top of it and pull the mechanism out of the housing. )note the position of the handle and put it back in the same way). Dont worry, springs and ball bearing will not come flying out. Clean out any gunk, lube the o-ring and put it back in and it should work fine. Is there any chance you just forgot to unscrew the lock knob on top of the valve?

I cannot tell by be pics if your valves are the permenantly lubed type or not. If not, there is a grease fitting on the valve body. If this the case, you may need to add some lube to the mechanism that rotates when you turn the handle after..... you have taken it off.
When you take the valve apart, it will be painfully simple to see how it works.

I forgot to add in my post.
Before you take that valve apart, tun the 3 way valve in front of the pump so that both pipes are closed. (if possible. Doesnt look like it is). If not possible, turn it towards skimmer. Tell me if you your pump is below the water line????

When and if you take the bottom valve apart, all the water in the filter will come pouring out, so dont freak out when that hapens.

After you have put it back together, open the valve in front of the pump and prime the pump and filter. When Primed, then proceed with draining water.

Timer guy has a good point. Run a waste hose or whaterver, to a street drain or somewhere so that it doesnt flood your yard, or your neighbors.

To answer your questions, Divin Dave, I am quite sure I did not unscrew the lock knob on top of the valve, as I did not know there was one. This is how much of a beginner I am. I have NO IDEA what I am doing. I want to call a pool guy, husband says no, I can learn this on my own.

I have no idea if my pump is below the water line. No clue. My pool is in-ground, if that helps.

I would love to hook up a faucet. I will eventually. My biggest concern is not having the first clue what I am doing, that I am going to screw something up or worse.

SUCCESS! Many thanks for the help. I drained to the bottom of the coping tile, filled up about halfway and put in some Oxy-Brite so the kids could swim, and then I guess it's a late-night drain and refill project to get the CYA out. Wish me luck!

Hi Jen,
Im glad you got it worked out. Sorry for the late reply but I have been out at the pool for a while! :)

what I meant by pump below the water line is... .is the pump downhill from the pool, pretty much level or uphill from the pool. Mute question now though since you got it figured out.

Let us know if we can help out with anything else. Will be glad to try and answer whatever questions you might have.

Good Luck with your late night drain!

As for me, I finally got my LED color changing light installed today. That bloody screw on teh Light Bezel stripped out and I had to use an air drill underwater to drill out that &*#$ screw! I got it tho! :party:

If you spent the day out at the pool, you're a lucky man. I just came in myself. :) I did a shock with Oxy-Brite so we could enjoy the pool this afternoon. :)

Will be draining this evening. The pump is level to the pool, a ways out and around the corner of the house. It'll be a long night with coffee... or cocktails instead maybe.

I am looking forward to starting over with fresh water! Will report back after I have the pool filled and chemicals added.

Cocktails? Oh yeah! You are gonna fit right in around here! :) :cheers:

Im gonna have me a little end of 4th of july party this evening iwth some friends over, cook on the grill and show off my LED lights and shoot off what I have left of rockets and roman candles. And I make The Best margarita on the planet! Winding down the long weekend like it was inteded to be done in 1492! Or was that 1776? Oh well, no matter! :)

have a great evening!

It'll be a long night with coffee... or cocktails instead maybe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.