Messed up - cloudy pool - UPDATED

So...a friend of mine (cough, cough) may have misread the label on some pH increaser and dosed his ~30,000gal pool using lbs and not ounces. Unfortunately, this was a rather large dose - in he 30lb range. Of course the water immediately turned cloudy and remained that way. Realizing my, I mean, his mistake, that evening muriatic acid was added to counter the addition of 16x the normal amount of pH increaser. This was about 2 weeks ago. The water did start to clear (I could make out the drain in the 7.5' deep end) but unfortunately, I had to leave on a week long trip. Upon returning, the pool was not only very cloudy again, but grass-green. Apparently we had a couple inches of rain and the pool simply didn't have enough Cl to sustain it.

I doused it with about 5 gal of 10% Cl this morning, bringing the Cl up to ~20ppm+. During the day today, the green has begun to fade, and the cloudiness has subsided slightly. I can see the shallow end, but not super clearly.

I checked the Cl again tonight (about 12 hours later) and it is still very high (20ppm). I'm assuming the Cl will kill the algae and will eliminate the green, leaving me with a cloudy blue pool again. Can I expect to be able to filter this out? I've added some DE powder to enable my sand filter to filter out finer particles, but haven't added anything else. Do I need to add floc or some kind of chelating agent? Wondering if I will have to deal with a lot of residue from the ph increaser incident? Doesn't seem to be too much drop-out on the bottom.

What do you all suggest? BEFORE I added the liquid Cl this morning, the chemicals were:

Total Hardness - 250
Total Cl - <1 ppm
Free Cl - <1 ppm
pH - 7.8 (added muriatic acid this morning to bring it down)
TA - 120
CYA - 40

I have the pump on and plan to keep it running.

Thanks, guys! My friend appreciates it! :D

Re: Messed up.- now my water is cloudy!

Welcome to TFP!

Firstly, what are you using to get those results?

Secondly, if those numbers can be trusted, we would definitely suggest you SLAM you pool.
The good news is that you seem to have started the process with your FC level of ~20ppm.

Yes, you can expect the cloudiness to filter out provided you stick to the SLAM process.

Thirdly, adding DE to a sand filter during the early stages of SLAM isn't generally recommended because it can clog quite quickly.
We generally do not recommend adding floc, especially towards the start.
At this point of time, nothing you have stated points towards metals / the need for chelating agents (a.k.a. sequestering agents).
Even if you do have metals, the general recommendation is to deal with the algae (you report green which turned to blue when does with chlorine) before dealing with the metals.

From what I can tell, the excessive pH increaser has been neutralised with the muriatic acid and you should not have much leftover residue from that. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Definitely keep the pump running.

Lastly, please add your pool details to your signature so we can help you better.

Abigail,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Aquacheck 7 test strips, so the he numbers are indeed "approximations". I'm in the process ordering the Taylor kit so I can have more specific results.

The pool yesterday:
umygyzav.jpg

The pool just now:
e3a8u3u6.jpg
5urypa6y.jpg

Green is gone, cloudiness has subsided slightly. You guys think keeping the Cl level high will clear up the cloudiness as well? Any reason to add anything else yet?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!

Firstly, what are you using to get those results?

The OP stated they are using strips to test with.

Hi Germ, and welcome once again!

Unfortunately, you will have a really hard time getting a keeping good control of the pool with just the strips. They really aren't very good for testing multiple parameters. May I strongly suggest getting a proper kit so that you may have some accurate numbers to work with? It truly is essential if you are to maintain the pool chems on your own with any consistent success.

Let's forget about the previous cloudy situation your silly "friend" :mrgreen: caused with the addition before hand. What you have now is an Algae bloom that simply isn't taken care of yet. You need to complete a full SLAM on the pool, then perhaps if you are still cloudy we can address that. Check the link in my sig to get you the testing and SLAM info and lets work it from there. Having a good test kit for a pool is just as critical as having a dipstick in your car or whatever engine to know what's going on. That is, if you are going to maintain the pool on your own. Let us know if you have questions. If you are trying to learn and beat this on your own, we are very happy to help you. Good luck, and check back with us.

hehe hummmmmmmmmmm please tell your friend that he is only human and made a mistake. When he gets a good test kit he will be able to clear his pool.

Until he gets his test kit he can put in bleach to maintain the good work that has already been started.

bleach/chlorine can and will clear it up. At least there are no tadpoles living in it! We have seen some REAL swamps get cleared using the TFP way!

Kim

Thanks, everyone!

Pool is blue, but still very cloudy today. Not sure I see any improvement from yesterday...is that ok? There is just so much suspended particulate in the water still. Should I be doing something different?

Here are pics from about and hour ago. You can see the similarity as compared to yesterday.

a7u9e2ez.jpg
u2uzuvuq.jpg

I have a wife and 4 kids who are VERY eager to swim! Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got home and I don't see any difference in the past 24 hours. Very blue, but very cloudy.

When I added MU last time to lower pH, it seemed to clear the pool slightly. I can add more, but I don't think I can get an accurate reading when the Cl is at shock levels, right? Should I be adding a floc?

Please advise!

Okee dokee. What about CYA? These dumb strips are so hard to decipher. I have the recommended kit on order, but it will be a few days before it gets here.
I THINK the CYA is somewhere between 10-30. Too danged hard to tell! The Cl level is 20+ right now. Just letting it filter for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

evuhu2ap.jpg

Still looking the same this morning. Cl level, according to my test strips (tftkit is on it's way) the Cl level looks similar to last night.

I didn't check pH before adding Cl, so am wondering it that is possibly causing some cloudiness? Should I bring the Cl down to test pH or keep Cl high and keep filtering? Not much change in 3 days.

Good grief. Just got back from the local pool store that does free Waterlink analysis. Numbers were WAAAAY different than what my strips said.

Here's what they said:
FC: 6.82
TC: 6.84
CC: 0.02
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 180
Alkalinity: 51
CYA: 31
Copper and Iron both zero

So, my strips tell me I'm at 15-20ppm Cl and in at 6.8. Really?!!

So, do I adjust alkalinity and bring up Cl to shock levels? Please advise.

Dumped in lots of Cl last night, definitely putting it into shock range. Added another gallon this morning. This is what it looked like:
nuza3y6y.jpg

I THINK it is better, but am still concerned the cloudiness is just over saturated water that Cl isn't going to clear.

Whatcha think?

I think it looks better also! Yeah for a test kit!

We will know better after you are able to do a real test.

It can and will clear up. It just needs time.............and no you cannot just go buy a watch to speed up the time LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.