Pool too warm in the summer

Jul 5, 2014
Austin/Texas
Hi,

I attached my question to an existing thread and just learned that that's a no-no. So here I am starting a new thread.

We live in Central Texas where it's relentlessly hot pretty much from May until October and on top of that we are in a drought. I shouldn't even have a pool, but when we got it, there was no drought.
Anyway, the pool water gets so warm in the summer, that no one uses the pool anymore except my 77year old mother in law.
Are there any methods to cool down the water in the summer, that don't involve evaporation? We're saving water like crazy and too much additional evaporation is just not acceptable.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. It's a shame that we can't use our pool during the hottest time of the year.

Thanks!

Gabriela

You can run a fountain and/or the pump at night to cool the pool. If you have solar, running the water through the panels at night will drop the temps.

Welcome to TFP. :wave: Others will be along to offer other ideas.

Running pump at night should help. A fountain will help too, but it will encourage the evaporation you don't want. Do you have a way to create more shade? Picnic table with big umbrella? Maybe some tall container plants?

The solar panel option works great. Our pool gets into the 90's, which is not exactly refreshing. I have run the water through the solar panels at night and watched it drop 6 degrees. If your night time temps are consistently in the 80's however, and rarely drop into the 70's it may not work well for you though. You need a decent drop in temps at night to get much effect from it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.